JLOB is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Newbie converting from Access 2003 to Access 2007 can't find reports

I'm not really new to Access, but I only use it once each year and, as such, don't really know much about the ins and outs. I've been forced to upgrade my entire MS Office suite and I'm now sort of lost. I imported my 2003 AccessDB. I see both data sets, but have no idea where my reports live. As I recall from last year when I was using 2003, they were fairly apparent. Can someone point me in the right direction? I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

JLOB

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    You don't see a Reports section in Navigation Pane?

Did you import objects to 2007 or did you open mdb in 2007 and do SaveAs accdb?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    A possibility is your navigation pane (that's the one that lists all your objects - tables/forms/reports/modules) has been filtered to only show tables or some other object. If this is the case, click on the down arrow in the navigation header and tick both the object type and all access objects options.

Another possibility is you have hidden your reports - in which case, right click on the navigation header, select navigation options and tick the show hidden objects option

JLOB is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    The naked truth is that I didn't know where to LOOK for the Report Section, or worse yet, I didn't know what the navigation pane was/is! That's the problem with teaching and old dog new......!

Thanks to both of you.
    J.

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Post 4 was moderated, I'm posting to trigger email notifications.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

JLOB is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Well he’s back for more enlightenment. I use this database annually to massage data for income tax purposes. The data is collected during the year in excel sheets which the become the input to that years DB. In prior years, I’d import the NEW data into the prior years DB, delete the prior year records, and rename the DB to the current year.
    I generate two reports from this data. One is a detailed report of expense by category, and the second is a summary of the data by category. In prior years, I needed only to click on the report name to have it generated. This year I get “The Microsoft Access database engine cannot find the table or query “Expense2018”. Make sure it exists and that its name is spelled correctly.”
    So, I’ve apparently a disconnect between queries and reports. Can someone point me to where I can learn about a solution? Is the query listed in the report design somewhere? I WILL conquer this stuff eventually.

Thank you.
    JLOB

Windows XP Access 2007
    The report's source is listed in the record source property.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

June7 is online now VIP
    Possibly best path to enlightenment is to obtain and study an introductory tutorial book and keep it handy for reference.

There were significant design changes to the Access application interface between Access 2003 and Access 2007.

If you imported objects to a new file, did you include query objects?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

JLOB is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Possibly best path to enlightenment is to obtain and study an introductory tutorial book and keep it handy for reference.

There were significant design changes to the Access application interface between Access 2003 and Access 2007.

If you imported objects to a new file, did you include query objects?
    I didn't import. I opened the 2003 mdb in 2007. Then saved it as 2007 accdb. I guess I thought that all that stuff, queries, reports, etc. would migrate.
    J.

June7 is online now VIP
    Yes, everything should have 'migrated' with that action. So really no idea why report fails now. If you want to provide db for analysis, follow instructions at bottom of my post.

JLOB is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Yes, everything should have 'migrated' with that action. So really no idea why report fails now. If you want to provide db for analysis, follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    Problem is the guy at the keyboard! I started the entire process again, this time paying attention to the sidebar choices. From what I can deduce: the import DB option had a "Select All" choice. I had the my 3 DBS visable. I hit "Select All" and assumed it would get the queries and reports, and the other two categories which in my case had no data. Turns out that the "Select All" didn't! This time, after I "Sellected All" I went back to see if in fact thy HAD been selected. They had not, so I select each piece individually, ran the import, and all's right with the world again.

It's been a frustrating, but rewarding afternoon. Thanks for your input.
    JLOB

Windows XP Access 2007
    If memory serves, and I'm not on a computer to check, Select All only selects the objects in whatever section you're on: tables, queries, etc.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

June7 is online now VIP
    So you did import, not open and SaveDatabaseAs, which is actually under Save & Publish.

Paul's memory is correct.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.