RobinM is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit

Set up Access defaults

Is there a way in account or options to make Access 2013 always default to Transparent borders so boxes don't show up around report fields, and to always default the font for anything to Calibri 12, and to always default to no alternate grayed lines on reports, and several other things I would like to always have defaulted differently, such as no Lighter xx% on forms and reports? Thank you.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    If it's not offered in File > Options, I don't know of any other method.

The only one I see is Query Design Font under Object Designers.
    Last edited by June7; 01-15-2020 at 05:26 PM.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Yes, but I've only played with this so I can't recall the details. I know that you place the controls on a form and modify the properties but don't save the form in design view. Maybe you switch to form view at that point and then close without saving. All I can recall is that you never save the form but the properties become the new defaults, and yes, I did get it to work.
    See if you can find the details on Google or something. A link to a page would be a good thing to have in your thread.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

GinaWhipp is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013 32bit
    To do this I set up a Model Database ( https://www.access-diva.com/d11.html ). I then make a copy of it and use it as my base so I don't have to set these settings up each time.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I've done that too. It's not a lot of work to import a form that has every control on it that you might need, formatted according to what you will always use. Altering the defaults is time consuming, but when done, you'll never have to import anything in the future. I found that the biggest pain was not knowing what the system names for colours are, which likely can be affected if you swap themes. So there's a lot of colour chart picking if you're going to going to alter a lot of colour options.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    If anyone is interested...........

I have been interested in creating templates (accdt) for a while, but could never find any information on HOW to create templates.
    I just found this link The Rational Guide to Microsoft Office Access 2007 Templates. It is for 2007 but should work for other versions 2007 or after. Might even try and buy the book itself.

Page 53 begins info on "Creating a Basic Template".

I have Office 2010 installed - NOT Office 365. I found templates (accdt) located at C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates\1033\Access.
    Now to find the time to test this out......

Windows 10 Access 2016
    In 2016 (Office 365) there is an accdt option under Save As. Never used it but it suggests to me that it is that simple. I certainly would not recommend that anyone alter all the options as I was alluding to before, then saving as a template. You'd find that a db created from either the template or a new base file would be the same. I like the template idea though because you wouldn't have to worry about importing forms or messing up a source db because you forgot to copy it first.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    The article is an interesting read and the author certainly has an unusual style for an Access author.
    I actually laughed out loud at a couple of comments.

I've tried using ACCDT files in the past and found them of minimal use.
    The main purpose of ACCDT templates is to distribute highly compressed version of ACCDB files.
    ACCDT files are smaller as system tables aren't included and are zipped.
    They were designed to work mainly with files containing embedded macros rather than code.
    When a user opens a template, it must immediately be saved as an ACCDB when the system tables will be added automatically

Whilst easy enough to create an ACCDT file from a completed and working ACCDB, it won't necessarily work when an ACCDB file is recreated.
    For example, I've had the created ACCDB fail to work when an autoexec macro is included.
    As I never use embedded macros, I don't use ACCDT files to distribute completed apps.
    Furthermore, you cannot make an ACCDT file from an ACCDE which further limits their usefulness

Returning to the original topic, you can easily create a 'template ACCDB' file with Access options set to your preferences e.g. Overlapping windows as well as a template form and report with the fonts, colours, styles you normally use. I have done that for several years and it does save some time.
    Saving that as an ACCDT is certainly possible but in my opinion is an unnecessary extra step when the template is just a framework for your own needs
    Last edited by isladogs; 01-16-2020 at 01:14 PM.
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

RobinM is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit
    Thank you.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.