templeowls is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Better to generate charts/graphs through Access or Excel?

Looking for some advice prior starting any changes. I have a massive database with Customer complaints, injuries, etc. Pretty simplistic and includes incident location. I generate reports monthly that go to each location's manager. It's really just two graphs. Incident totals by month (bar graph) and a types of incidents (pie chart). I currently do it in excel. I have the database linked, which then flows into pivot tables, ands then flows into charts. I then export those charts into Powerpoint. It's time-consuming though because we have roughly 30 locations and copy / pasting these 60~ charts into 30 powerpoint files takes some time.

Utilizing Reports within Access, is this something that could be automated? Like having 30 different reports on the database that are just updating regularly? Any thoughts are helpful. Thank you!

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    it is something that can be automated, but I would say excel charts have the edge in terms of flexibility of design. But if yours are pretty straightforward, they can be incorporated into reports.

However if it ain't broke - have you not considered using vba in excel to export the graphs into a powerpoint file? the code would be similar. Here are some links as an example
    https://www.extendoffice.com/documen...owerpoint.html
    https://smallbusiness.chron.com/copy...vba-40834.html

edit - you wouldn't have 30 different reports in access, you would have one - and have a parameter to specify the location then the routine is

select parameters (location/dates/whatever), these may be in a table, hardcoded in vba or calculated in some way
    open report
    export report
    close report
    repeat for next parameters

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Although cheating in Excel is more powerful, personally I do almost all my charts in Access as its good enough for almost all chart types I ever use.
    As you mentioned bar charts related to incidents, you may be interested in a different way of doing this in the attached example Incident Analysis app
    For more info see the second part of this link http://www.mendipdatasystems.co.uk/m...lter/459445429
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.