Novice Be Gentle is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2010 64bit

Forms not accepting dates for the year 2020

Hi. I have a database that was commercially bought about 12 years ago but the vendor is no longer trading. Since the new year I have developed a problem inputting some new data.

I have forms where I input the date of a new service provided or a new expense incurred. The input format is dd/mm/yyyy or dd/mm/yy, which the form then converts to dd/mm/yyyy. But it won't accept 20 or 2020 as the year. Other forms where I input the date are not affected, such as invoices, payments, receipts etc. There are also forms for editing data, and I can edit the service or expense dates to 2020. This has given me a temporary work around while I work out what the problem is, input a date for last year then edit the date later.

So the problem is limited to these two input forms, and doesn't seem to be related to the tables where the data resides, as the correct date can be input via the edit function.

I'm using Access 2010, the database is about 12 years old and there doesn't seem to be any 'lock down' of the database, I seem to be able to look and edit whatever I wish (naturally on a back up).

Any advice would be much appreciated. If the solution is likely to be complicated for someone with only the most basic of skills, then advice where to go for help in Adelaide, South Australia would be appreciated.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Just to clarify,
    Is the file type MDB or ACCDB (and not MDE or ACCDE)
    Are you able to view the code in the Visual Basic Editor?

What happens when you type dates into the affected forms? Nothing? Error message? Something else?
    It may be there is a default restriction in the textbox properties or code in the before update event causing an issue...but we need more details to advise you properly
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Since you have a copy to play with, I suggest you compare all the property settings between a form that works (at least I think you're saying one does) with one that doesn't. If that's unclear I'm saying open the 2 forms in design view, make sure you can see the property sheet (see ribbon design tab) and start with comparing the controls that accept the dates between these 2 forms. If need be, compare the forms themselves. A person might have problems where the local date format doesn't conform to the requirements of Access (mm/dd/yyyy) without allowing for that but not to the extent you describe.

You could also post a db copy (compacted and zipped) here because I suspect this will be something that won't be easy for you to find.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Crossposted at https://www.access-programmers.co.uk...d.php?t=308883.
    Usual link about crossposting provided in that thread
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Novice Be Gentle is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2010 64bit

Apologies for the crosspost

Quote Originally Posted by isladogs View Post
    Crossposted at https://www.access-programmers.co.uk...d.php?t=308883.
    Usual link about crossposting provided in that thread
    My apologies for the crosspost, it won't happen again. Problem now solved, there was some Visual Basic code that checked that the date was in a specified range. I then had some issues trying to create a new mde DB from an old Access version file without new DB file name extensions causing other problems in the DB. But we got there by saving DB in 2003 format instead of 2000, then Access 2010 deigned to create the mde.

Curiously I didn't get any email notifications of replies on this forum.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.