Don Stone is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit

Read-only message

When I try to open a completed DB a message pops up and says that the DB is a read-only. how do get rid of this message?

Thanks,
    Don

don@hisway.cc

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Depends on what caused it. Did you copy it from a CD or DVD? If so, it will be read only because disc files are read only. In that case, you'd right click on the file in Windows Explorer and take a look at its property sheet. Uncheck read only if checked.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

The two files were zipped and attached to an email. At the destination, the files were downloaded and unzipped to a folder for Access.
    Thanks for the help.

The zipped file's properties show that they are not read-only. However the .mdb files are shown read-only but when I try to change it, the change doesn't take.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    It may also be read only if it is on a different computer or on the network rather than your own workstation
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I've received zip Access files before and I don't recall that making them read only. Sure if the file came from a CD or DVD, but not from a drive. If you're saying you solved it, then please mark your thread as solved. Thanks.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    It may also be read only if it is on a different computer or on the network rather than your own workstation
    Doesn't that only give you a message bar saying that code is disabled?

The message says nothing about the code. It says to copy the database. I guess that I don't understand; copy both files or just one? Please help me get rid of the read-only situation.
    Thanks,Don

Windows 10 Access 2016
    This may be more of a Windows issue. Check if the folder that contains the db is itself read only.
    Before you open the db again, check Task Manager (ctrl+shif+esc) to make sure Access is not already running just in case you left a version of this hanging. If there is, deal with that first. You could also try opening Access (not the db) then go to Open > Browse and in the resulting dialog window, navigate to the folder, choose Open Exclusive Read Only from the Open drop down choices and then open the file. See if you get any error. If not, see if you can make any change to it. Close it then try to open it as you were before. Manually setting the read only may reset it to normal when closed. If not, try this procedure again but choose Open and see what happens (or just try this first). If none of that helps, I'm out of ideas and would start Googling if it were me.

Yeah!
    Ifinally copied both files into another folder. The cleared the read-only In the properties of both files. Now the databaseworks and I no longer have the read-only problem.
    Thisposting is cleared.

Thanksto all for the help!
    Don

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Great news! Does that mean the original folder was set to read only? Folder properties can be set to extend to all the files and subfolders within it IIRC.
    Please mark your thread as solved if you're done with it.
    Thanks.

Yeah!
    Ifinally copied both files into another folder. The cleared the read-only In the properties of both files. Now the databaseworks and I no longer have the read-only problem.
    Thisposting is cleared.

Thanksto all for the help!
    Don

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.