student_2744 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Linking multiple tables in a many-to-many relationship using query to achieve auto-fill forms

Greetings,
    MS Acess noob here.

I am creating a student management system database using Microsoft Access and I need help.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RTLSS.jpeg 
Views:	15 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	40600
    The image above summarizes all the relationships that I have between my tables. I am aiming to create a student management database in which users are allowed to add new students, subjects, teachers, or marks (meaning assesment grades) to the data.

Now, I have the basics figured out. As can be seen from above, I have created a many-to-many relationship between Students and Subjects, where many students can have many subjects and vice versa. My problem is that I now want to link the explained relationship to my tblMarkssssss (you can just call it tblMarks long story). So, my aim is that when a student_ID is selected for a Markssssss_ID from a form or somewhere, fields automatically appear that specify what each of the 6 subjects of the student is. To give an example, if Julie Andrews took subjects A,B,C,D,E,F, when her ID/ Name is selected in the tblMarkssssss, there will be an auto-fill in the fields (established by a relationship between tblStudents, tblSubjects, tblMarkssssss) specifying the name of each subject of the tblMarkssssss.

I feel like I am almost 100% missing fields in my tblMarkssssss, but I generally do not know what path to follow to achieve my aim. Alsp, my limited knowledge of MS Access yields that a query will almost most certainly be involved in this process. Hence my posting of this thread in the Queries subcategory.

If what I am asking for is practical for a database, any help as to how I can go about creating this relationship would be welcomed. If not, a nudge in the right direction would be appreciated.

If you have any questions, I am here to elaborate. Thank you in advance for all the help.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    tblMarks is not a normalized data structure. Why isn't term and grade maintained in Students2Subjects?

Students2Subjects should NOT have name fields.
    Last edited by June7; 01-05-2020 at 03:59 AM.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

orange is offline Moderator
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL

student_2744 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    So you're saying that my junction table Students2Subjects should have the term and grade fields so that I can link it to tblmarks by adding field relationships?

Thank you for the resources.

June7 is online now VIP
    I could be wrong about where Term fields should be located. Explain what they are for.

Multiple similar name fields indicates non-normalized structure.

I had hard time reading that image and just noticed you have 6 sets of 3 associated fields. At first I thought that was 18 distinct Subject fields. Either way, this is not normalized. What if you need a 7th set or more someday?

What do M, P, C represent?

Quite possibly tblMarks should link to or replace Students2Subjects. Can student receive multiple marks for a subject?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.