Kdeutsch is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2016

Add string values to Expression builder value

HI,

I built a report to use barcodes, downloaded and have the barcode font working but in order for the scan to work I need to add asterisk's to the barcode value. In my report, I add the field by double clicking on the field and it adds to the form. I then go to property sheet, click on data and control source dots. This pulls up the expression builder. It has the value in there already and per everything I have read I just add the following = "*" & [DCMAAssetID] & "*" , this should work to add the astericks to the barcode value, but what it gives me is a #Type! error instead. If I change it back, it then gives me a #Error instead of the barcode value. My barcode values look something like this 16NB00123, I just want to add asterick's to front and back to allow it to scan as such *16NB00123*. What am I doing wrong with the expression builder as it comes down to it not adding in the asterick's. If I add them manual to the barcode value in the table it works great, but that's thousands of lines to change. How can I make this work. thank you

Bulzie is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Is DCMAAssetID a numeric field? Are you trying to add "*" to that field? Don't understand you say you click to add something to the form but then talk about the report?

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Yes, not really clear. Maybe you are only looking to update a set of records one time?
    If I add them manual to the barcode value in the table it works great, but that's thousands of lines to change.
    That would be a simple update query.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.