pkstormy is offline Access/SQL Server Expert
    Windows XP Access 2003

PrintKey 2000

This is an old utility that has been around for a few years. If you don't have it in your collection of utilities, I'd highly recommend adding it.

It brings back the "Print Screen" button where you can easily make a snapshot or send it directly to the printer.
    Attached Files Attached Files

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    I tried this in Win10 and got an error message 'Failed to set data for HotKey0' and then had to use Task manager to close it,
    The documentation indicates it won't work in recent versions of Windows though the info was written 20 years ago.

For info, what should this do that pressing PrtSc or Alt+PrtSc or Windows utilities such as the Snipping tool don't already provide?
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Windows XP Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by isladogs View Post
    I tried this in Win10 and got an error message 'Failed to set data for HotKey0' and then had to use Task manager to close it,
    The documentation indicates it won't work in recent versions of Windows though the info was written 20 years ago.

For info, what should this do that pressing PrtSc or Alt+PrtSc or Windows utilities such as the Snipping tool don't already provide?
    I probably should've started my post in that I haven't started using this utility until just a few weeks ago at my new job. We have a Windows 10 environment so I assumed it would work for everyone even though the documentation doesn't mention Windows 10 as being supported. I will try to find out what is different about our environment that would make it work and if possible, post back anything I notice.

Windows XP Access 2003
    See next post...

Windows XP Access 2003
    What this utility does is similar to what the old Print Screen key "used" to do on the keyboard where when you clicked it, it sent the image to a dot matrix printer. Using this utility, when you press the "Print Screen" key, instead of automatically printing the image, this (instantly) opens a utility similar to the Snipping Tool with a pasted screen snapshot. The reason you would use it over the Snipping Tool is because it will capture things like expanded dropdown boxes or help balloons that disappear when you open the Snipping Tool. You are essentially "tabbing" off the dropdown field (or help balloon) to take a snapshot and you can't capture the picture so you can paste it into an email to send to users. It's kind of a pain but what I currently do is hit the Print Screen button (to send it to the clipboard) and then open MSPaint and paste the screen snapshot picture into it. I then use the Snipping Tool to draw a clip around the expanded dropdown box so I can paste it into an email to show users what to expect for values in the dropdown (a picture says a thousand words...).

I like this utility because as soon as I click the Print Screen button, the utility automatically opens with a snapshot of the screen already pasted into it (and the clipboard) and I can print or dissect as needed. I also like the menu and options that are present with this utility over the Snipping Tool. There are a few more things you can do with the image such as set brightness, color schemes, size, rotation, etc... There is a simple bar on the right side that lets you easily manipulate the image.

This utility simply saves me a bunch of steps in trying to capture parts of the screen that I can't do with other utilities like the Snipping Tool which cause an action to happen on the screen causing things to disappear. Anyone who does a lot of screen captures will come to appreciate the ease and simplicity of this utility over others.

I love it and I have only used it a couple of times so far. I wish more simple things like this would come out. Being a novice user, I may have negatives about using it later but so far, it's got a great approval from me and I wish I had found it years ago.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Its easy to set a delay of up to 5 seconds with the snipping tool allowing you to capture dropdown menus etc.
    The new Snip + Sketch tool adds significant additional functionality
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.