tintincute is offline Novice
    Windows 7 Access 2007

access replicating itself

Hi

a colleague of mine downloaded this Customer Service Support from the Microsoft Website and she enhanced it a bit.
    Now I have to take over it the records she had on this DB.
    When I start to record things from here, and save it the DB displays a very strange problems. When I open it I'm getting an error of:

Code:
    Microsoft Office Access has detected that this database is in an inconsistent state, and will attempt to recover the database. During this process a back up copy of the database will be made and all recovered objects will be placed in a new database. Access will then open the new database. The names of the objects were not successfully recovered will be logged in the Recovery Errors Table
    Any idea why is this happening?

I just added some records on the forms and it started to act this way.

Would appreciate your help.

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    It's a pretty bad error. Access is replicating itself as a favor to you in making a backup in case it crashes - which it is believing it is about to do. So that's not good. Generally I would say an MS template db is well designed so one really can only conclude that it was the 'enhancements' that has introduced the problem.

First you want to make a back up of course - then do a compact/repair. If this is a split database do so on both FE and BE. I'm 50/50 as to whether this is will work in this situation but it might.

Also you might want to see if your associate still has a copy of the db that she believes works ok - and have her resend it to you. Trial it again and see if it does work ok for you. Perhaps the original corrupted in transit. Be sure it is zipped if sent via email. It is rare but possible this was the cause. If so - you can then append all your data to it and go from there.

If not - you can go to http://allenbrowne.com/ where Allen has info on corruption that you can go thru. He is a super guru.

These are your key steps and I wouldn't go into obscure steps beyond them. There's an approach of importing all objects into a new db - - and while this can work it misses any custom vba at each event plus of course you could import a corrupt object. So this also isn't perfect - but if the overall db isn't too big it can work fine.

Finally you could consider to download that original template that was the starting point - and then writing your data from your tables into the original template via onetime AppendQuery - - and foregoing the 'enhancements'.

Good luck.

tintincute is offline Novice
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    thanks NTC, for the suggestion. Yes I was thinking to download the original template and then from there I can start from scratch and will not perform any enhancements for the meantime.

You mentioned too, that I can do this : "via onetime AppendQuery"

Do you have a tutorial how can I do this?

Thanks

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    If you are managing Access one must have an Access textbook in the version you have. Easily found at Amazon or any big bookstore...and they will all have an example of an AppendQuery which is an embedded feature in query design.

They are not particularly difficult.

Just as an aside - quick & dirty one could attempt simply to delete the tables in the template and import the tables from your existing db. The fatal flaw would be of course if your enhancer changed table field names or properties...then this won't work. Obviously if you want to experiment with this approach make a backup.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.