Tee Bolen is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

adding fields to a form

When adding an additional field to a form, it attaches itself to the last field on the form, why.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I think you are referring to what's called layout. In design view, if you move 1 control and a bunch of others move, they all belong to a layout. Right click on one and in the resulting context menu, go to layout then 'remove'. It won't delete the control - just removes it from the layout. I've experienced what you describe, which I found weird the first time it happened.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Tee Bolen is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thank you so much. I have been fighting this for a couple of weeks now. Today I simply used design view rather than layout view, and was able to add the field without any problem. Do you have a website where people can communicate with you and/or learn from your lessons?

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Design is just for that, especially if you want to add or modify an object or add an event. It's rare that I ever use layout view for moving things around; maybe if I want to see exactly how a form will render if there's hidden controls that I see in design view that won't show in form view. In that case, I can move (design) them, but that's about it. I dislike layouts as they are too cumbersome to work with and I don't see the point of them. If I want to move several controls at once, I just click and drag to include them. It wouldn't even occur to me to try to add controls while in layout view.

No website. I'm just a volunteer here like everyone else who contributes. There are LOTS of sites to learn from and many have video tutorials. One that's often recommended is Steve Bishop. I can't say if there's any real basic stuff there as I've only ever visited out of curiosity when someone else has recommended it for a particular problem. The more you read/learn about Access the more you'll benefit, but it seems to me you want to start simple. Books are good too, and in some ways, more practical as they're easier to start/stop and review.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.