rcrobman is offline Not Expert Yet!
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Compiled Version throws 'the expression you entered has function that application can't find'

NEW INFORMATION
    This is truly bizarre - I forgot to mention that when I first compile the application and the application opens on it's own (after the compile) it does NOT throw the error!
    Now here is the really bizarre thing - while I was testing this I kept compiling it to the same compiled name i.e. Somename for example - and over and over I got the error
    I just recently tested it again and had it compile to another name i.e. Anothername for example - and I DID NOT GET THE ERROR!
    SO I then closed down the compiled version and opened the app in development and compiled it to Somename again - NOW I DON'T GET THE ERROR!
    Totally baffling

ORIGINAL POST

Perhaps someone can tell me why the Development version of the database works perfectly fine but when I compile it into a runtime version it throws
    an error "The expression you entered has a function that application can't find"

It finds it when I put the application into View mode?

The function in question is part of Module 1 and has not been changed or altered in anyway.
    Unfortunately as usual MS forced me to upgrade my Windows 10 which caused another problem that was fixed in the Nov 24 Office/Windows update - now we have a new one.

Any ideas? I have checked the VB code and all is well - no errors on a full compile so I am baffled!

Thanks for any help!

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Why start another post for the same problem in the same forum? Or was it somewhere else? You might hurt your chances of getting an answer here because we take the risk that answers are being provided elsewhere for this problem, but we have no idea where. No one wants to waste their volunteered time making the same suggestions as were made elsewhere.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Windows 10 Access 2016

Same Post

Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    Why start another post for the same problem in the same forum? Or was it somewhere else? You might hurt your chances of getting an answer here because we take the risk that answers are being provided elsewhere for this problem, but we have no idea where. No one wants to waste their volunteered time making the same suggestions as were made elsewhere.
    It's the same post - I added new information to it since I didn't want to reply to my own post.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    It's the same post
    Then there must be something wrong with it because what I replied to only had one post/comment visible - and still does. Are you sure you don't mean it's the same issue but not the same thread (I should have said thread, not post).
    - I added new information to it since I didn't want to reply to my own post
    People do that all the time for various reasons; bumping it back into the current list due to lack of replies; OP has new information, etc. It's acceptable.

You might want to add your info above to your other thread (if I'm right and there is one) and just continue on from there. If not, at least include a link to it because I'm probably not the only one who has no idea where it is.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    There is only 1 post - this one - I did not create another post in any other forum group.
    Interesting that you said people do reply to their own threads to keep them current - I take it from the fact that the only discussion going on is whether or not this is a single or multiple post that no one has any ideas as to why this is happening.
    Strange thing about Access these days - the only thing that seems to keep going wrong is when MS forces us to do Windows or Office365 updates!

davegri is offline Excess Access
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Is there any duplication in the names of the function, the module containing the function, and the complied name? Each should be unique.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I take it from the fact that the only discussion going on is whether or not this is a single or multiple post that no one has any ideas as to why this is happening.
    Maybe it's because you have

NEW INFORMATION
    This is truly bizarre - I forgot to mention...

and
    ORIGINAL POST

and others were just waiting to see how my questions were answered. If we're not supposed to conclude that this is a follow up to something posted elsewhere, then I'm amazed. Regardless, I'll get out of the way because I confess I don't think I've ever made a runtime version of anything.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    No there is only one function in the entire Module - it is a call to an API to find out who the current user is - it has been in use for years and sits unchanged.
    What kind of leaves me scratching my head is the fact that no matter how many times I compiled to the same name I got the error over and over - THEN when I chose a different name to compile it to it WORKED - so being a glutton for punishment I then compiled it to the original name just to see what happened - and again it worked???????
    No idea as to why it stopped working or started working again?
    Thanks for your reply!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.