Hell_1934 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Mandatory values in the Form / populating values in the continuous Form after clicking on a button

Hi,

In this (# 1000 version of my Project) I have 2 goals, I can't achieve:

1. After clicking on "Comma" button, I want to populate all "Yes" values of my Complaint
    This Form is tied to EHRReview_Category-Objective Table, where Complaint is the caption of YesNoFk field.
    And the YesNoFk field's values are Yes (1), No(2)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Form.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	129.4 KB 
ID:	40378

Name:	YesNotbl.JPG 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	40379

2. I also want - not to be able to enter a new record, unless ALL values are populated in the Complaint (YesNoFK)
    If there at least 1 empty record I want message "Please enter all Complaints", so that user will not be able to add a new record clicking on the "pencil" button, unless ALL values are filled.

Name:	FormNewRec.JPG 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	40380

Attached is also an original database

Thank you, as always.
    Attached Files Attached Files

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    Run an update query to change all values.

Hell_1934 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ranman256 View Post
    Run an update query to change all values.
    Do I have to do it on the [Event Prosedure] associated with the "Comma" button?

What's the syntax in vba?

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Your db is probably full of 'traps' - minor annoyances for someone trying to help. Like clicking a button to close a form and the whole db closes - poof!
    Or your use of special characters in object names, thus your button code fails because of that, and the fact that you don't wrap such (bad) names in brackets. If the brackets get fixed, the code alters the form record source, which doesn't sound anything like what you asked for, which is to set a field value across a set of records.
    I've stopped there for the moment but I'll poke around some more.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    It took me about an hour to sort through what's involved and come up with this for the button click event:
    Code:
    Private Sub Command36_Click()
    Dim str As String
    str = "UPDATE [EHRChartReview_Category-Objective] SET [EHRChartReview_Category-Objective].YesNoFK = 1 "
    str = str & "WHERE [EHRChartReview_Category-Objective].[EHRChartReviewCategoryFK] = "
    str = str & "forms![ehrchartreview main]!sfReviewDetail.Form!EHRChartReviewCategoryFK"
    DoCmd.RunSQL str
    Me.Requery
    End Sub
    That's about all I've got the gumption for. Please don't be insulted but it's quite difficult to figure out things, partly due to embedded macros, but mainly because the naming is umm, real bad.

WRT problem 2, I don't know how to use a macro to loop through a form recordset to look for any field that doesn't have a value. I don't even know if macros are capable of that. Assuming there isn't any other way to navigate except for your custom nav buttons, in nav button code, I'd create a form recordset clone, loop through a field looking for Null or zls and exiting the button code if any were found. You'd need to allow for every nav button, because usually they come as a quad set - forward/backward 1 record + to beginning + to end.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Gicu is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Have a look at the attached and see if that is what you're after. Please note that you might need to apply a patch from Microsoft (if you haven't already done so) to fix an issue with update queries they introduced in a recent update: https://support.office.com/en-us/art...3-f21636caedec

Cheers,
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Vlad Cucinschi
    MS Access Developer
    http://forestbyte.com/

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.