RehGnav is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

You cannot add or change a record because a related record is required in table access

I'm still pretty newbie in Access but I was given a project to edit our access database to input a new name into the database so that, that name can be used to fill out forms. After adding a new record (the new user) inside the table with the names, I get the error message "you cannot add or change a record because a related record is required in table access" when filling out the form with that name.

I have "enforce referential integrity" with both "cascade update related fields" and "cascade delete related records" checked. I assumed after having these checked, there shouldn't be any issues?

Any help is appreciated!!

To add-on, all of the other names in the table works fine when filling out the form, just the new name (record), doesn't work.

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    It sounds like you've got referential integrity enforced on the "access" field in the names table. That would mean it can't be left blank, it needs to have a value that exists in the access table.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

RehGnav is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by pbaldy View Post
    It sounds like you've got referential integrity enforced on the "access" field in the names table. That would mean it can't be left blank, it needs to have a value that exists in the access table.
    So I should not have "referential integrity enforced" checked? And can you possibly give me an example of what you mean in your second sentence?

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Referential Integrity (RI) is fine when appropriate. I don't know what your tables contain. If I have an orders table and I only want orders entered for customers that exist in the customers table, I can enforce RI between the two tables. If I want to be able to leave the customer blank (perhaps a walk-up cash customer), I can't enforce RI (or I do but have a "cash" customer). The second sentence means that the customer field can't be left blank, it must contain a customer that exists in the customer table. If the customer tables contains 3 customers: ABC, DEF, & XYZ, those are the only valid entries in the customer field of the orders table.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Suggest you read my article explaining Relationships and Referential Integrity http://www.mendipdatasystems.co.uk/r...ps1/4594533224
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.