GarrettB is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Need a report with calculated field only within a defined date range

Hi

This is my first post in this forum, so apologies if I have posted it to the wrong section

I have been using Access for a few weeks, and have used SQL before, so I have been able to create basic tables, generate queries and simple reports.
    I have a particular task in mind, and have been googling for hours, but I am going around in circles because I am missing some basic knowledge
    So, if anyone could give me a few pointers on the direction I need to go to do the following, that would be really great thanks:

Starting point
    I have a single table
    End point
    I want to display a report that outputs a number of fields
    - within a certain date range (start date /end date)
    - with a calculated field
    I want the user to select the start/end dates

What I tried doing so far
    I created a form, with two date selectors / text boxes, and a single button
    I used the Query Wizard to generate a query which selects ALL from the single table
    I modified the SQL in this query two use two parameters as start/end dates
    I used the Report Wizard to create a report just containing the fields I want from the table
    I then added one more column in the report, initially unbound
    I then created a public function that takes a Record ID as a parameters, and performs the required calculations on the data in that record, using multiple DLookup calls, and returns the result
    I then tried to tie the new column in the Report to this function, by setting the control's Control Source to use this function (although I am not sure I am passing the Record ID parameter to the function correctly)

At this stage I have bits of ideas, and don't know how to knit them together
    I suspect there is a better approach
    I have purposely not pasted a load of code here because it is just the high-level direction/knowledge I need for now - and maybe I will return with a few specific questions later

Any help is appreciated

Regards

Garrett

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    I'm not clear where you're stuck. Using a form to gather the user's input is good, as is using those controls in the query criteria. Are you wanting the function to use them too? It could refer to the same form controls the query does. You might be able to replace the DLookup's with a recordset, hard to say without seeing them. Either could use the form controls for date parameters.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I used the Report Wizard to create a report just containing the fields I want from the table
    This might be where you went off track. The report should be based on the query. The query should do the calculations and if need be, call the function, although I'm not following why you need that. Perhaps there are complex calculations or decisions that calls for a function rather than a calculated query field. Then you bind the current unbound report field to the query that does what the report function call does. The report grouping and sorting properties will override any query grouping or sorting so just worry about getting the query data correct unless you need to sort it to make validation easier.

One thing you must remember wrt reports, datasheets and continuous forms: there is really only 1 textbox of any name - it just gets repeated. It is possible to follow such a path as you're on only to find out that being an unbound control on one of these object types leaves you with the same value in every record in that field. This would not be the case if it's a bound field, but can happen if it's not bound.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I will try and explain further.

I have type d out some kind of an explanation below, however it seems a bit long winded, and possibly unclear.
    Perhaps it is a clue in to the confusions I am experiencing ��
    Anyway here goes…

I have a table defined: Tbl_MyTests
    This holds information on all tests performed in a lab, with various start and end times for the equipment used during the tests.
    The user wants a report, within selected dates, on the test time used on groups of equipment according to what tests were used.

Example:
    If Test A is performed on Tuesday, then the function will add the usage times for Equipment 1, 2 and 3
    If Test B is performed on Tuesday, then the function will add the usage times for Equipment 2, 4 and 5
    If Test CA is performed on Tuesday, then the function will add the usage times for Equipment 1 and 4

So the form I created lets the user enter the start and end date, and click a button to generate the report.

The query I defined is only for grabbing the data between the two dates:

SELECT *
    FROM Tbl_MyTests
    WHERE TestDate >= Date_Start AND TestDate <= Date_End
    ORDER BY TestDate;

So I suppose it is implied from the above, that the query will be provided with two parameters: Date_Start and Date_End

I define a report: Rpt_TestHours
    Its Record Source is the query above.
    It also has a field which is meant to display the equipment usage total
    This field’s Control Source is linked to a function to calculate the equipment hours. It includes code that looks like this:

‘Find which test was run
    testName = Nz(DLookup("TestName", "Tbl_MyTests", "[ID] =" & Record_ID))
    ‘Read appropriate start/stop times
    timeStart = Nz(DLookup("Start1Time", "Tbl_MyTests", "[ID] =" & Record_ID))
    timeStop = Nz(DLookup("Stop1Time", "Tbl_MyTests", "[ID] =" & Record_ID))
    ‘Calculate total time
    timeTotal = timeStart - timeStop

Essentially, its job is to read one field - the test name, and based on that, use other fields to perform its calculations. Which fields are used in the calculation depend on the test name field.

A number of issues

When the function to open the report is called, I get a Type mismatch error
    Run-time error '13';
    Type mismatch

Also:
    If I open the report manually, I am prompted for start and end date. The subsequent report seems to populate a few lines, although really slowly, and then it throws an overflow error on one of the Nz(DLookup... lines

So:
    I am not sure how clear I have presented this.
    And, even if I get this working this way, it seems messy, to have code in one place, a query elsewhere, and a report using both.
    Perhaps it can be done just with a report and with code….

Hi Garrett

Can you upload a zipped copy of the database?

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by mike60smart View Post
    Hi Garrett

Can you upload a zipped copy of the database?
    Hi Mike

I zipped and attached a similar project
    I couldn’t send the original because it is a work project, so I created a simple example from scratch

I tried to create everything in the same way, but I can’t be sure

Of the two issues I was happening, this project only has the Type Mismatch issue.
    i.e. I am not getting the overflow error – maybe this is because I do not have much data, or maybe I did something ‘better’ this time. Either way I can go and investigate the differences…

So for the Type Mismatch error, it is presumably to do with how I am defining / expecting / passing some Date values

Any help you can provide is much appreciated

Summary of this zipped project:

• The Rpt_Usage report seems to work, when selected manually, and dates manually entered in format: YYY-MM-DD
    • However, if you click on the Welcome Form, and then click the Report button, and enter the dates and click Generate Report, you get Run-time error '13' for "Type mismatch" in the b_Gen_Report_Click code, where it tries to pass the two parameters to the query

Overview of Date usage

Table: Tbl_MyTests
    Test_Date is Date/Time

Query: MyTests_Query
    Uses Test_Date from the table

Form: frm_EnterData
    Txt_Test_Date is Medium Date

Function: Calculate_Total_Hours
    Does not use/read the date
    Attached Files Attached Files

Windows XP Access 2007
    You need delimiters for date fields. You also didn't concatenate properly. Try

DoCmd.OpenReport "Rpt_Usage", acViewPreview, , "[Date_Start]=#" & DateStart & "# And [Date_End]= #" & DateEnd & "#"
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Windows XP Access 2007
    Oh, and you'll want to take the criteria out of the query to use a wherecondition like you are. Another options is referring to the form for the criteria and opening the report without the wherecondition.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.