bilalo is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Accde 32 bit/64 bit

I have a 32 bit ms access 2016 accdb database that I converted to an accde file, I want to be able to run the accde on both 32 bit and 64 bit access 2016 runtimes.
    What is the simplest solution to this problem?

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    AFAIK you will need a bit version for each as you cannot open 32 bit Access with 64 bit Access. Unless you needed the new integer data type that 64 Access provides I'd say installing 64 bit Access was a mistake. In fact, you can read in most places that currently there's no good reason to install 64 bit versions of Office programs. If I bought a pc with 64 I'd replace it with 32.

Anyway, enough of the rant. If you just need access to queries and data, you should be able to import into a 64 version from the 32 accde. Link to the tables if that makes more sense. Pretty sure you cannot import the reports or forms - certainly not any modules.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    The new bigint number datatype is actually available in both 32-bit and 64-bit Access (2016/2019/365 only).

I can confirm that ACCDE files must be created for each bitness. You can only create 64-bit ACCDE in 64-bit Access. Similarly for 32-bit ACCDE in 32-bit Access.
    I'd also suggest using 32-bit runtime even if you have 64-bit Windows as the 64-bit runtime has no advantages
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I agree that the 32 bit version is more recommended than the 64 bit.
    However not all clients have the access Runtime 32 bit version, some of them have the 64 bit version. Should I force them to use the 32 bit? Or is there a better solution that doesn't annoy clients?
    I was thinking of creating two versions of my database, one for 32 bit and one for 64 bit, but this is going to be very exhausting since every time I need to make a change on the database, I need to do it twice. Also the two version of ms access could not be installed on the same PC unless I create a virtual machine to install both.

GinaWhipp is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013 32bit
    Hmm, well, *forcing Clients to change bitness can leave a bad taste in their mouth and might leave you on the curb. After all, they may have gotten the 64 bit for the perks they get with Excel. Can you leave it as an ACCDB? Because then you can add PtrSafe declarations and it will run in 32 bit and 64 bit. Then ou don't have to worry about maintaining two bitness'.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by GinaWhipp View Post
    Hmm, well, *forcing Clients to change bitness can leave a bad taste in their mouth and might leave you on the curb. After all, they may have gotten the 64 bit for the perks they get with Excel. Can you leave it as an ACCDB? Because then you can add PtrSafe declarations and it will run in 32 bit and 64 bit. Then ou don't have to worry about maintaining two bitness'.
    If I disable the shift key bypass, are there other disadvantages of sending ACCDB to clients?

GinaWhipp is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013 32bit
    In the cases where I have done so I have not had any adverse effects. Note, I also hide the Ribbon.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    I also distribute some apps as AACDB files and when I do so I remove the ribbon and nav pane.
    The important thing is to ensure users cannot reverse settings from Access options

But it also depends how much you want to keep your code private. If that's important you need to use ACCDE
    Whilst distributing as ACCDB means one version works in both bitnesses, any knowledgeable Access user will know how to re-enable the shift bypass.or just 'bypass the bypass'

You might find this article useful http://www.mendipdatasystems.co.uk/i...y-2/4594571073
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Another thing to consider is, that in case you have a 64bit SQL Server, and there some database(s) which need(s) data from 32bit Access database, then there is no SQL driver for this (as much as I know). I had to install 32bit SQL Express Server because this, and Windows Tasks Manager is there running pass-through queries, to import data from some Access and dBase tables (SQL Express doesn't have Jobs, and 64bit SQL Server can't run pass-through queries on 34bit SQL Server to 32bit Access, or to dbf-tables, as it uses its own 642bit drivers then.). 64bit SQL Server then can import data from 32bit SQL Server.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.