Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    skydivetom is offline VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2010 64bit
    Yes, I understand that I need the Linked Table Manager to link tables from one database to another. However, in order to link the table, I should have the table, right? Unfortunately, the latest SDA version does NOT have a) tblLocalVariables nor b) UpgradetblUpdaterVersion. I only shows links to those tables, but these tables don't open (so I could reconstruct them if necessary) given the links are to your old/current project.

What am I missing? Hold do I get those tables? Just because AutoUpdater had tables named w/ the same name doesn't mean AutoUpdater's table structures are identical.

So, again, it appears I miss two tables in the latest version. The link itself won't help me if I understand SDA's process correctly.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Look again at points 2 a) and b) in post #40 where I explained both of these.

Table tblLocalVariables should be a table in your FE (just like it would have been with the AutoUpdater you started with in this thread)
    My version of the table has just 2 fields: Variable - Text (50) PK ; Value - Text (100)
    Attached is a copy of the table - you may not need some items - such as those I've left blank

The other linked table is an alias for the table tblUpdaterVersion in the copy of my utility you are going to place in the network upgrade folder.
    So you do have that table as its part of the SDAUpdater
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

skydivetom is offline VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2010 64bit
    isladogs, June7, else:

First of all, thank you for the continued assistance. I appreciate everyone's contributions and assistance in this post.

However, at this time (i.e., we have reached 47 postings now), I will admit I give up on reaching a viable solution. This thread started out by asking a question about "data spliting". In post #19 then, I mentioned that I came across a solution (http://www.utteraccess.com/forum/Eas...r-t304808.html) which would allow me to copy and push a modified FE from a LAN to a user/local machine.

It was **absolutely easy** to follow the author's installation directions for "AutoUpdater". Unfortunately, there were two (2) issues that seemed to require some additional assistance.
    1) an error message was thrown (included in post #19)
    2) AutoUpdater did NOT open the actual db once the FE version was validated/upgraded

Lastly, it appears that AutoUpdater only works on a LAN which to which I have had no access to in the last 4 days. In other words, I received additional error messages when testing AutoUpdater from home several days ago.

Between post #19 and #47, multiple alternative solutions were mentioned; unfortunately, even though many postings included additional steps for configuration of the alternate solutions, I ultimately was NOT able to figure out the process. Please allow me to say, the process of pushing a modified FE from a LAN to a local/user machine is a totally new concept to me. Again, apparently I had not issues whatsoever to follow the instructions referenced by author "AncientCPU", I was unable to replicate the steps for the alternate solutions.

I will be back on the LAN tomorrow and hopefully resolve the two (2) remaining issues with AutoLoader. I am just amazed how much time was spent on introducing other options vs. trying to solve the two (2) issues listed in post #19.

Again, thanks for the help but I'm moving on... this thread doesn't go anywhere and I feel I'm abusing your valuable time.

EEH

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    OK thanks for letting us know. Good luck
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

June7 is offline VIP
    I will give one more attempt to outline steps for my autoupdate setup, using your reduced version of db:

1. Save backend into a folder on server, save frontend into same or another folder (I used a different folder with accessibility restricted to me)

2. Open frontend with shift key bypass, relink tables in frontend - I use code to link with UNC path - if you use drive letter, make sure user has this mapped on their computer

3. Fix code to use your paths for server and user locations

4. Make sure version number in table is same as version number in label on Login form

5. Copy master frontend to Autoupdate folder on server as well as into a location on user computer - I originally used C:\ root location for user

6. Run user copy, there should not be an update copy triggered at this time but should prompt for login info from a new user which will default to "staff" - login process relies on LAN username to accomplish this, if you don't need or want user info, then this can be modified to remove login component

7. Now do an edit in master frontend - again, open with shift key bypass - change version number in table and in label and replace copy in Autoupdate folder

8. Run user file and now that table version number is different from label in user's copy, update copy should trigger

If your system allows programmatic copying, hooray - if not, will get error message.

Keep in mind there are situations that can require manually copying a new version to user location. We replaced our server and it got a new name. This meant my UNC path table links no longer worked. I had to manually replace user copy on every machine (only about 9 machines, small office). Occasionally a user frontend would corrupt and only solution was to manually replace.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.