KMulvey is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit

Report Repeating Extra Duplicate Pages

Hello, I am a relatively new access user so please keep in mind that I am not well versed.

I have created reports that summarize frequencies and percentages across various questions in a form. I started by using a blank report template, adding existing fields from tables as necessary, and building expressions in the control source mostly using the Sum IIf function. the report is being generated as expected except that it looks to be repeating itself across multiple pages where I would only expect and want it on one page. The information across pages is all duplicative. If I were to guess, it is generating a detail section on a new page for every record in the corresponding table. I have spent a lot of time reading other posts about this issue but have not been able to fix it. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I would like to finish this database as soon as possible.

Thank you!

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    If you are getting duplicated information in a report, it is usually due to not putting the fields in the proper locations on the reports.

Note that there are different sections on Reports:

Report Header - appears once at the beginning of the report
    Page Header - appears at the top of every page
    Group Header - if you have Grouped data, appears at the beginning of each group (for that particular data grouping)
    Detail section
    Group Footer - if you have Grouped data, appears at the end of each group (for that particular data grouping)
    Page Footer - appears at the bottom of every page
    Report Footer - appears at the end of the report

So, the questions are:
    - What is the Data Source of your Report (a Table or Query)?
    - If a Query, what kind of Query is it (is it an aggregate query)?
    - Have you grouped any data?
    - Have you done any calculations directly on the report?
    - In which sections on the report have you placed your fields?

Hello JoeM,

Thank you so much for your response! To answer your questions:

- the data source is a table
    - there are no groupings of data
    - all of the fields are calculation made directly on the report
    - the fields are in the detail section of the report

Please let me know if I can provide any other information or if you have any suggestions.
    Thanks again,
    Kayla

JoeM is offline VIP
    What kind of calculations are you doing?
    Note that if you put the calculations in the detail section, then each calculation will be repeated the number of times as the number of records that you have.
    If you only want it to appear once, you should put it in the Report Footer.

Hi JoeM,

Thanks again for your quick response. I am using fairly basic sums, totals, and sum IIF calculations. I think that the calculation in the detail section is the primary problem with it being repeated for each record in the table. I tried to move the calculations to the report footer and that seemed to solve the problem - stopped repeating/generating new pages of duplicate information. I went into the property sheet to look things over and there is no place on the data tab to indicate a record source. Do you foresee any problems there or having the whole report in the report footer?

Thanks again!!

JoeM is offline VIP
    Yes, you will want to place all "Totals" in footer sections.
    Basically, any thing that you want to appear just once you will want in header or footer sections.
    The only thing that you really want in the Detail section is all your individual data. Basically, whatever you put in the Detail section will be repeated for each record in your record source.

Great, that did the trick! I made new versions of all my reports moving the calculations from the details section to the report footer and the reports are being generated only once as expected. Thank you very much for you assistance.

I have one more issue that is less related. I am trying to create totals by age breakdown. Originally, I have the birthdate and interview date. I created a query from those two fields calculating the age. Do you have any suggestions for how I could best create a report that provides the total, average and range of ages in a summary? So, I would assume that this too would not be included in the details section but the report footer.

JoeM is offline VIP
    If those are done in a separate query, then look at doing a Subreport (which runs on the query), and inserting the Subreport into your main Report.
    You can do a Google or YouTube search on Subreports for details and tutorials on how to do this.
    You will want to put it into a Header or Footer section, or else it will appear multiple times.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.