gg80 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 Access 2007

Can't import forms form one db to another

Using Access 2007.

I try to import a form from one db to another. It won't allow it and gives me this message:

The data base has been pl;aced in a state by User 'Admin' on machine "GG-VAIO" that prevents it from being opened or locked

The help section says: This error occurs when the new passive shutdown/connection control is being used. This error message indicates that a user set the database in a mode that will prevent other users from opening it.

I admit that I don't understand this. Any help much appreciated

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    you usually get this message if the database you are trying to import from is open on your machine or has been opened by someone else in exclusive mode (i.e. they are in design mode)

Windows 7 Access 2007
    Thanks for quick reply, much appreciated..

I closed the file I was importing from and imported th form.. The form was imported successfully, but when I try to open it I get the message Error in loading DLL. When I click help, it adds (error48) and a list of items referring to DLL.

What is DLL and is there any where I can look to better define the problem? Very frustrating.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    we might need to know more about that list. Probably you are missing a reference where you imported the form from. Also, something on that form (e.g. an activeX control) needs that reference. DLL means Dynamic Linked Library. That can be a file that ends in .dll but references are also of other types such as (I seem to recall) tlb, olb.
    EDIT - should have mentioned that references are checked in the vb editor. In there, go to Tools > References and see if any are marked missing in the db you imported into. You can also compare the checked references in the db you got the form from to see if there are any that are not in the list of the new db.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Windows 7 Access 2007
    I did find a missing tools/reference item "microsoft excel 16.0 etc.". I replaced it with the available item that referred to excel 12.0. No effect.
    The file I am working with was created in Access 2003, then xferred to 2007. My user is using Access 2016 and the file we are working with was last updated on her computer. So maybe the cause for preventing changes on my computer? In case it is some fluky, thing, I will be receiving another copy shortly.

At this point, I am thinking of giving up and redoing the original 2007. I read several descriptions on web on how to update DLL, but beyond me. I much appreciate the time you have spent on this. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    we might need to know more about that list. Probably you are missing a reference where you imported the form from. Also, something on that form (e.g. an activeX control) needs that reference. DLL means Dynamic Linked Library. That can be a file that ends in .dll but references are also of other types such as (I seem to recall) tlb, olb.
    EDIT - should have mentioned that references are checked in the vb editor. In there, go to Tools > References and see if any are marked missing in the db you imported into. You can also compare the checked references in the db you got the form from to see if there are any that are not in the list of the new db.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I have read that opening an older file in a newer version can do this, making it work in the new version but no longer in the old. This is why some developers keep several versions handy. By any chance did you/anyone allow access to convert an mdb into an accde? That would be a problem for sure.

Windows 7 Access 2007
    I went back to beginning and went into the Tools-References etc. and made sure that both files had identical items in the list. Worked!. Not sure what I did, but wouldn't have done it without your help. Thanks again.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    You're welcome. I suspect you checked one that was needed or updated/rolled back to the right version.
    Be sure to mark your thread solved if all is good.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.