k11ngy is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Form Interface

I have attached database and I am looking for help on Forms. There are 4 examples sent to us and I am trying to emulate them to show students how to create them but when we try it doesn't seem to work. on the Select Donor I created a query and then linked the drop down box to the query. However, when we select a donor from the list it should show Current donation and current status as this database for does so not sure if we are building the form correctly from scratch. Should we be using a wizard or blank form and add fields. At a total loss here and I am fairly good at databases (Or not in this instance) but I am flummoxed and want to know how I would build this form from the beginning.

I have attached file-Steve to Examine

Appreciate help as stressing me out

Regards

Steve
    Attached Files Attached Files

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    your post is too vague (for me, at least). Doesn't work doesn't help. There are 10 forms but not a word as to which one to open - and none are named "Select Donor". If that's a control, I'm not going to search 10 forms for it, only to find that there's one with the same on several of them. Post back with more info - what to open, how to operate to replicate the issue, and above all else, what is the issue?

Note re your donor table - if you have 2 with the surname of Smith, how are you going to differentiate between them?
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

k11ngy is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Hi, yes, sorry for being too vague. The form I was looking at was FormAddDonation_Macro_Example_1. The actual file I attached is sent by BTEC to us as an example for us to look at. The form in question of course works but I needed to know how it was built. I have tried a variety of methods but when I choose a donor from the drop down box, in my Form, it doesnt automatically fill in status and current donation amounts for that donor that I chose. As mentioned I did create a drop down box for Donors so that they could be selected and linked it to the relevant query and that was fine. I cant work out how the form was created and how the boxes are linked so that they work when I select a donor.

Apologies if I sound thick, just looking for some help and advice on how to build the form from the beginning

Kind regards

Steve

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Not sure what to tell you wrt how. Any of the forms I look at have features that I (and I feel confident in saying 'many developers' as well) would not do. Some are
    - showing PK (ID) fields on a form. It is useless data for the user and often can be confusing. Often, it is of little help either, as after making a selection you see 1 and not Smith
    - using macros, embedded or otherwise
    - and mostly, allowing form control names to be the same as their bound field names. That is the only way I can see the 'functional' form to be working. The form's recordsource uses the same names as the controls, so when you select a different donor, Access is deciding to substitute the control name for the field name when you update the form.
    - when using a combo to filter records, the combo should not be bound but it is in either form. In your code case, the form opens to a new record, thus every time you 'search' on a new donor, you're creating a new record. Bizarre, given that so far I've not been able to find out why they open differently.
    - perhaps most importantly, in playing around I have donation id 1037; amount is zero, yet even the supposedly properly operating form (macro version) shows an amount from some other record.

This may sound harsh but it isn't meant to be - under no circumstances would I want to replicate the form you were provided.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.