NISMOJim is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Starting out slow, but still wrong

Ultimately, i'm trying to update a record in a table, but keep getting a run time error 3061 too few parameters, expected 1. Some of the changes I've tried, I get a syntax error.

Code:
    CurrentDb.Execute "UPDATE tblVisit SET tblVisit.VisRsn = " & Me.txtReason & " WHERE tblVisit.VisitID = '" & Me.txtVisID & "'"
    VisRsn is a short text field, and the format for txtReason is blank.
    VisitID is an autonumber, & txtVisID format is also blank.
    I've checked the spelling, and scoured the internet to figure out what is wrong. I've used this code many times in other places, so i'm stumped.

When working, I will need to update several other fields in the record, but starting small to see what I'm doing wrong.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    The error is often caused by a misspelled object (form control, table or field name, form name, etc.). If you've validated all such reference names, then often, the other culprit is that coded sql can't be processed the same way as is done by the query side of things. In those cases, it's usually a form field reference that can't be resolved. Assuming the form is open, then there are 2 approaches that I know of. One is to declare and define all the parameters (google MS Access qdef.parameters). A simpler way that works for me is to declare a variable for the parameter and use that in the sql statement instead. So, vba can define what Me.txtMyTextbox is and then assign it to strMyString, and vba can then deal with
    ...WHERE tblVisit.VisitID = '" & strMyString & "'"...

Having said that, I'm surprised the message was about 1 parameter when you have 2 references. Makes me think it is a spelling problem.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    If VisRsn is a text field then use apostrophe delimiters.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    If VisRsn is a text field then use apostrophe delimiters.
    Good catch, but I would have expected a data type mismatch error for that. Perhaps that would have been a second error message when the parameter problem is solved (assuming the mismatch isn't the cause of the parameter error).

June7 is offline VIP
    It is the cause. I tested an UPDATE action to verify.

However, now I notice that VisitID is a number field so apostrophes there will probably cause data type mismatch error. Those apostrophes need to be eliminated.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    From your field descriptions there should be two parameter errors. Try this
    Code:
    CurrentDb.Execute "UPDATE tblVisit SET tblVisit.VisRsn = '" & Me.txtReason & "' WHERE tblVisit.VisitID = " & Me.txtVisID & ";"
    Or just

Code:
    CurrentDb.Execute "UPDATE tblVisit SET VisRsn = '" & Me.txtReason & "' WHERE VisitID = " & Me.txtVisID & ";"
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

NISMOJim is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    The addition and omission of the apostrophe's did the trick once I able to get back on. I had it right in the beginning, but it didn't work, so I changed it to this. The database was acting funny when I tried making the changes (wouldn't let me type the characters, like the keyboard was locked up), then the db crashed, deleting all of the code. Luckily I made a backup & changed the code there, so all is working perfectly now. Thank you for your help.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    You're welcome. We were all pleased to help.
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.