ali_sh is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Add description for each field in input form and add note to each record and display that in report

Hello
    Does anyone know tips to add a description on each field of records in input form for users (like display a floating window when holding mouse on title of fields or ...)?I also need to add a note field to each record in Input form but because of width limitation to 22" of report page I need a way to display that in report.

Thanks in advance

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    like display a floating window when holding mouse on title of fields or ...
    you are describing the controltiptext property for a control - have you considered using that?

I also need to add a note field to each record in Input form but because of width limitation to 22" of report page I need a way to display that in report.
    need some clarification. Notes are a common requirement - but they don't need to appear as a column in a report e.g. your report might look like

Product: ABC
    Notes: only use when available
    field1..field2..field3.....
    A........123....xyz

ali_sh is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    you are describing the controltiptext property for a control - have you considered using that?
    Thank you for your answer. You are right, controltiptext is what I want. I just google it and realize that but I confused about how can I use it.
    I know I should write the code in mouse move event but I don't know how.
    Is there any way to use description of each to field to show as controltiptext ?

need some clarification. Notes are a common requirement - but they don't need to appear as a column in a report e.g. your report might look like

Product: ABC
    Notes: only use when available
    field1..field2..field3.....
    A........123....xyz
    You mean I can group my reports?
    It's better to have a column containing word "note" for some records and show window like what I described for forms by holding mouse on it.

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    I know I should write the code in mouse move event but I don't know how.
    Is there any way to use description of each to field to show as controltiptext ?
    No code required, just put in the controltip property the field description

yes you can group reports
    It's better to have a column containing word "note" for some records and show window like what I described for forms by holding mouse on it.
    You will need a separate report for your notes field and in perhaps the mousedown event for your 'notes' column have some code to open the notes for the appropriate record. Plenty of examples on this and other forums

Or with no code at all, you can just use your your notes field as the column - the user will see the first few characters but if they click on the field and hit shift-F2 that will open up a scrollable and resizable zoombox

I can tell you users will get very fed up with little windows opening all over the place as they move around the form, so don't go overboard

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Another approach is validation, which in my opinion is better. You can provide all the tips you want and still get garbage in. Validation would not only prevent that, the validation message would provide the necessary message/example to get the right data. That way, once they get the hang of it, they won't get corrected. A mouse over event will fire even if you're just moving the cursor over to a button or some other field and happen to cross over one that has the mouseover event on it. THAT will get you some new nicknames around the office, I'd say.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.