Have database open automatically

I would like my database to open automatically when I double click on the shortcut icon on my desktop.

Can anyone tell me how to do this?

jya is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Are you trying to create a shortcut on your desktop? Are you using Windows? If so, go to your database in Windows Explorer or My Computer, right click on it, select 'Sent To' and then click on Desktop (create shortcut).

Access opening automatically

No, I already have a shortcut on my desktop. When I double click on it, I would like the information to appear automatically.

Windows XP Access 2007
    What do you want to see when it opens? What do you now to get to where you want to go?

Access opening automatically

I have my address and telephone directory set up in an Access table. I would like to double click on the shortcut and have the entire table (showing the data) show up on my screen.

Right now when I double click on the shortcut, Access opens with this rectangular image in the center of the screen entitled, "Norman's Address and Telephone Numbers: Database". Underneath that are several tabs in the following order: "Tables", "Queries", "Forms", "Reports", "Macros", "modules". To the right of these are the options to click, "Open", "Design", "New".

To open my directory to get the phone number I want, I have to make sure that "Tables" is selected and then I have to click "Open".

I would like to have the database open automatically, without having to make sure that "Tables" is selected and to click "Open". I would like to be able to double click on the shortcut and -- whallah -- it's open.

Windows XP Access 2007
    I don't believe you can have a table open automatically.

However, you can have a form open on startup. You could create a form with your table data. For instance, you could create a AutoForm: Columnar and choose the table you want to be able to view. Under the 'Tools' menu go to Startup. Under Display Form/Page, you can select the form you just created. The next time you open the database, this form will automatically open.

Hope this helps.

Table opens automatically

I have just tried what you suggested and quite liked the Form format because it allows me to see more information for that particular entry. Thank you.

However, let me tell you that it is possible to have a Table open automatically. Years ago I achieved this and continued to experience its benefit since then.

But recently my computer crashed. And when I retrieved my data from the CD, I found that this Table did not open automatically anymore. I tried, but couldn't remember, for the life of me, how I did it.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.