RudiN is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Need to append short text to long text field update query ms access 2016

I would like to update an access schedule to Google Calendar. I have created an ODBC database link to the calendar and have a build a query to append to the calendar.
    My problem is that I have short text fields and the fields I am updating in Google Calendar are long text fields, so I am getting a type conversion failure.

I would appreciate suggestions on how can I get around this problem?

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    suggest provide some example data and the code you are using - you can expect issues trying to convert long text to short text but not the other way round

RudiN is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Are you saying the query should append a short text to a long text field?

Here is the query SQL, the google link table design (part of) and a table I created to look at the field structure which is also attached, by temporarily changing the query to a make table query.

INSERT INTO GoogleCalendar_Trainers ( CalendarID, Summary, Description, location, AllDayEvent, StartDate, EndDate, Kind, Status, Updated, ColorID, CreatorEmail, OrganizerEmail, OrganizerDisplayName )
    SELECT "mdgbarlio3fejknb0fgkeusccl@group.calendar.google. com" AS CalendarID, [CourseScheduleUnits]![UnitCode] & " " & [CourseScheduleUnits]![Trainer] & " " & [CourseScheduleUnits]![Room] AS Summary, [CourseScheduleUnits]![startDate] & " " & [CourseScheduleUnits]![trainingtype] AS Description, [CourseScheduleUnits]![CityCode] AS location, "True" AS AllDayEvent, CourseScheduleUnits.StartDate, [CourseScheduleUnits]![startdate]+1 AS EndDate, "Calendar#event" AS Kind, "Confirmed" AS Status, Now() AS Updated, IIf([CourseScheduleUnits]![TrainingType]="Workshop",5,IIf([coursescheduleunits]![citycode]="MAROO",2,1)) AS ColorID, "info@daisylearning.com.au" AS CreatorEmail, "mdgbarlio3fejknb0fgkeusbbk@group.calendar.google. com" AS OrganizerEmail, "Trainers" AS OrganizerDisplayName
    FROM CourseScheduleUnits
    WHERE (((CourseScheduleUnits.StartDate)=[Enter Course Start Date]) AND ((CourseScheduleUnits.TrainingType)="Full" Or (CourseScheduleUnits.TrainingType)="Workshop" Or (CourseScheduleUnits.TrainingType)="Group"));
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GoogleCalendarTable.jpg   ScheduletoGoogle.jpg  

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Are you saying the query should append a short text to a long text field?
    yes - but in your example you are not using the field, you are using a hardcoded value (with a space in it).

Why do you think this field is the problem? - I would have thought this was more likely

"True" AS AllDayEvent

In your destination table, AllDayEvent is a boolean which is numeric

RudiN is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I should have spotted that. Can't see the forest for the trees. Thank you, thank you.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.