Macro with 4 criteria, All or one can apply.

Hi,
    Currently I have a query where 5 control boxes all the user to select different criteria for a selection of records. This scenario is used with a split form. On the selection part of the form I can enter text in any one or all of the control boxes and the records matching that criteria display in the bottom part of the form. On bottom form (a list), the tempvars as criteria use this format:

Field - SName

Criteria - Like "*" & [ShelterCounty] & "*".

Again, five fields have the same format.

Everything works fine.

Now, I've tried the same with a report. I use 4 combo boxes and tempvars and use the same Like statement, Like "*" & [TempVars]![TempCounty] & "*" as above for the report. However, if I leave one combobox without a value, I get no records. If everything has a value, it properly selects the correct records.

As I'm writing this I'm wondering if the control box vs. a oombo box is an issue, or is something built into the split form that I am missing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Maybe this would be better said as follows:
    I'm generating a report. The selection criteria for the report are four items. City, State, County and Facility Owner. Only one is necessary for the report to run, however I could also select values for all for items. I want to do this from a macro, however I'm open to VBA code.

Jeff

Jeff

kd2017 is offline Well, I tried at least.
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Maybe try
    Like "*" & Nz([TempVars]![TempCounty], "") & "*"

Otherwise you could build your filter in vba and not add filters for criteria that are null: if not isnull(combobox) then my_fltr = my_fltr & combobox so on and so forth.

Queries with null values

Things have changed. I have included a snapshot of both the split form in design mode and a partial of my query assigned to the bottom split screen. The top section are search fields, for instance, varCLFacilityOwnerName. The bottom form has the table fields, CLFacilityOwnerName. Using your suggestion, when I search, if the table field is empty, then it doesn't show the record. Right now I only have two records. One with values in all fields and one with a null - CLFacilityOwnerName.

Could you give me a short example of setting up a filter in VBA? It looks like the attachments are on a separate reply. I'm submitting them both.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by kd2017 View Post
    Maybe try
    Like "*" & Nz([TempVars]![TempCounty], "") & "*"

Otherwise you could build your filter in vba and not add filters for criteria that are null: if not isnull(combobox) then my_fltr = my_fltr & combobox so on and so forth.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails frmCallLogMulti - partial query.png   CallLog- Split Screen.png  

kd2017 is offline Well, I tried at least.
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I can't take a close look at your particular situation at this moment but MS Access hall of famer Allen Browne has an example posted here: http://allenbrowne.com/ser-62.html

Quote Originally Posted by kd2017 View Post
    I can't take a close look at your particular situation at this moment but MS Access hall of famer Allen Browne has an example posted here: http://allenbrowne.com/ser-62.html
    Thank you I will look at his post.

Thank you very much. The information Allen Browne provided was very helpful and resolved many issues for me.
    Thanks Again,
    Jeff

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.