K Roger is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2003

Moving an Access 2003 file to 2007: On a form Enter a Parameter Value with each record change

I (today) am in the process of moving an Access 2003 file (on Windows 7) to a Windows 10 PC with 2007 on it. All seems to be working fine except while moving from one record to another on one particular form.

Movement from record to record on the form works fine on 2003 without any problems. No changes have been made to the form after it was moved to the 2007 machine.

However, on the Office 2007 machine, when the form is first opened and whenever a record is changed, I am prompted to enter (via a Enter Paramenter window) a value for 2 particular files. Hitting <OK> or <cancel> bypasses the problem and the record loads OK.
    I have examined the two tables, the relevant queries, field properties and the code and see nothing wrong with any of it. I have already spent an entire afternoon searching for the problem with no luck whatsoever.

Where else can I look and/or do to find and fix this errant and aggravating problem?

Thanks for any suggestions or help!

Roger Troutman
    Mansfield Ohio

Additional Information on my problem. I checked other forms and some have a problem and others do not, thus the problem is not related to a single form

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    The usual advice is that the form is corrupted so you should rebuild it but I highly doubt a corrupt form is OK in one version but not in another. I (and others) have lately been saying that when updating it is not uncommon to find that ambiguous code (a polite way of saying it's a bit sloppy) that was passable in older versions becomes a problem when a new version of a reference becomes involved. That can be the Access db engine itself, DAO or ADO, Scripting Library, VBA, Office, etc. Start by ensuring the code project compiles. If any of the modules do not have Option Explicit at the top, that is not good and can be a contributing factor. If this code project is not complete, you ought to turn on Require Variable Declaration. Regardless, you should go into every module and add that line and see if it still compiles and fix any errors that arise.

The code you see can also be different from how Access has compiled it. In that case, you open the db with the compile switch (google it) and Access 'dumps' the compiled version and rebuilds it. That should ensure that what you read is exactly as it has been compiled. My inclination is that something is wrong with the code or sql but you're not seeing it. Likely the problem exists in code behind these specific forms, or any code in a standard module that is only called by these problem forms.

It should go without saying that these things should be done to your db after you have created a backup of the latest version.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    How did you transfer the file(s) from to the Win7/Acc2003 machine to the Win10/Acc2007 machine?

Part or all of transferred files done by memory sticks/flash drives can be corrupted. Apparently these drives give a 'transfer completed' message that is a tad early, when doing Access files, and when the drive is immediately disconnected, part of the transfer doesn't complete.

The answer, of course, is when using these devices, do a slow ten count after receiving the 'completed' message, before actually disconnecting the drive.

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Thank you responders,

I copied all the relevant tables, forms, queries and a single macro to a new database to simplify the taskof chasing down my problem. I then successfully compiled the code (after some slight changes). I then removed the offending 2 fields from all instances in the db. I then ran the Documenter for all items to insure both fields were all gone. This whole process eliminated one of the parameter prompts. However, the form is still prompting (when opened and when a record is changed) for an apparently nonexistent field in a table, query or form (I have no reports or modules, just some VBA code). AS to the coding suggestions, most non-Access generated code consists of if else statements that have multiple fields in them: no other field therein has caused a problem.

Not sure how to proceed.

As to the second response: I used a flash drive to transfer the data, but said drive has been continuously in the Win10 machine for over 36 hours.

Happy Halloween and hopefully my "ghost" goes away soon.

Again thanks for past and future suggestions

Roger Troutman
    Mansfield Ohio

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Is it possible for you to post a copy of the 2007 version for analysis?
    Change any sensitive data, do a "Compile & Repair", then compress the dB. Post....

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    Quote Originally Posted by K Roger View Post

...I used a flash drive to transfer the data, but said drive has been continuously in the Win10 machine for over 36 hours...
    You're not saying that you're running this from the flash drive, are you?

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.