dccjr3927 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Query Multiple Tables for Match with wildcards

Hello. I have an SQL problem. Let me start by saying that I am not good at complex queries (nesting, joins, etc).

I have a table that contains order information [Orders], and a table that contains shipping information [Shipping]. I am trying to build a shipping report query that will select orders that have been shipped by comparing order numbers in each table, getting specific fields from each matched order.

First problem in the process is that in one table [Shipping] (due to bar code scanning) has a 3 digit suffix and a 2 digit prefix. The [Orders] table has neither of these. I am not sure how to have a wild card at the beginning and end of the matching portion.

Next, it would lessen the search if I could search [Shipping] by restricting it to one vendor [VendorName].

Finally, I intend to export this to a text file. I though about querying into a recordset, but I do not know if I can use a recordset name instead of a table name in the .TransferText method. If not, I would have to create a temp table with the results for the report.

As always, any assistance would be greatly aprreciated.

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    suggest provide some examples of how your would match orders to shipping. You say shipping has two fields - what do they look like? and how do they compare with the orderID in the orders table. e.g. is it something like

Ordertable field =12345
    shippingtable field=XY12345ABC

Is the ordertable field length consistent? i.e. Always 5 characters, or can they sometimes be longer or shorter
    And what are the datatypes? all numeric? some numeric, some text? some alphanumeric?

So provide examples of all the different variations you need to cater for

Since you say you are not good with complex queries, always better to provide your actual table and field names

Windows 10 Access 2016
    This is correct:

Ordertable field =12345

Neither of them are constant length, or will not be forever, once the numbering rolls over to a 6-digit number. Other vendors have longer or shorter numbers so basically the wildcards need to account for anything on either side of the string for Orders.OrderNo. I figured that its best to account for this in the beginning. That way it would be more easily adaptable for other vendors should the need arise.

Orders.WONo and Shipping.OrderNo are Short Text (some vendors have order numbers with a letter in them).

I will have to sterilize (remove data) the table before posting, as it contains client information. Here are the fields that have a bearing on this is.

(All field are Short Text.)
    Shipping Field names: Shipping.OrderNo, Shipping. TrackingNo, Shipping.Company
    Orders Field Name: Orders.WONo, Orders.WOSeq, Orders.ProdID, Orders.QtyOrdered, Orders.WOStatus, Orders.DropReturn, Orders.Filler, Orders, Orders.ExpShipMeth

I know that having the same information in two different tables is not good structure, but is there a reason not to add fields Orders.OrderShipped and Orders.OrderTracking, then just update these two fields when the shipping department makes the entry into the Shipping table? Or would this be bad form for the sake of simplicity?

As a side not, I also have to get a count of the number of records that matched between the tables.

you can create a match by using a non standard join

SELECT *
    FROM Orders INNER JOIN Shipping ON val(mid(shipping.ordero,3))=orders.orderno

Non standard joins cannot be shown in the query builder window so have to be created in the SQL window

Another way would be to create a separate query for the shipping to extrapolate the order number

SELECT *, val(mid(shipping.ordero,3)) as sOrder
    FROM Shipping

then join that query to your orders table

SELECT *
    FROM Orders INNER JOIN qryShipping ON shipping.sOrdero=orders.orderno

Because the shipping orderno is a calculated value this could be quite slow for large datasets. It would be better to add fields to the shipping table to store the orderno, plus prefix/suffix if required for other reasons.

EDIT: I should have stuck to insisting you providing all the different variations you need to cater for. You said

This is correct:

Ordertable field =12345

Neither of them are constant length, or will not be forever, once the numbering rolls over to a 6-digit number.
    which is what the above solution handles.

But later you say

Orders.WONo and Shipping.OrderNo are Short Text (some vendors have order numbers with a letter in them)
    So now I'm confused - does the order number roll over to a 6 digit number? If the vendors order numbers can have text in them, then they are not a number and cannot roll up.

So if your first quote is correct, my suggestion stands. However if your second quote is correct, then we need to start again - and this time provide examples of all the different variations you need to cater for

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thanks. I will give these a try.

have just edited my post - please reread

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.