Wonderifican is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2003

Query using changing table names

Hello,
    I am using Access 2003 (limitations where i work on versions that can be used) and trying to create a create a query from a table names that change each month.
    For example, table called EOM Costed Jan19 will be called EOM Feb19 and EOM Mar19 and so on. Of course the month and year is at the end of each table name.
    The table structure remains the same each month, just that every month there is a new one. I would like to create a query that will prompt for the table name and another prompt for a user ID that can be run from any station as the database is stored on the network. I would also like to include about 8 fields from said table, those fields will be the same each time I run it.

I am not a programmer though I see quite a few VB codes in the program already, so it is not strange, just not savvy much on VB.

I can do basic queries and join tables, but this is out of my realm.

I should add that I am using Windows 7 with office 2007, but i can create the query in office 2003 access which is where the database was created on a 'work' pc.

Thanks for any help.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Why is there a new table each month? Where is this data derived from?

This cannot be done with query object. Table and field names cannot be dynamic.

I expect will need VBA.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

CJ_London is online now VIP
    You need to clarify where these tables are stored. As June says, you will have to use dynamic queries built in VBA. The only other option is to rename the table as 'thisMonth' or similar. But that won't work if you want to compare 'thisMonth' with 'lastMonth'.

One thing you can do to simplify adjusting your query each month is to use aliasing of the table name - then you only need to change it once in the FROM part of the sql. e.g. instead of

SELECT [EOM Costed Jan19].fld1, [EOM Costed Jan19].fld1
    FROM [EOM Costed Jan19]

use

SELECT thisMonth.fld1, thisMonth.fld1
    FROM [EOM Costed Jan19] AS thisMonth

The tables are stored in the same database. it's old and i can't explain why they set it up to have different names for each month. It has forms and other features built into it and I don't have a programmer to make any changes now. The data is brought into the Access database by running a few buttons built in and bam, tables are created and reports generated. That is all I can do.

The end goal is to have a report each month for any particular user ID with the 8 or so fields. I can then export into Excel as needed. Thanks

OK, so more complicated in that you already have reports being generated. As already stated you cannot 'prompt' for a table name in a query you need to use vba

I presume your database is a .mdb, not a .mde otherwise you are on to a non starter. Please confirm. It would also help to know what the query looks like so suggest copy paste the sql (go to query design and select the sql window)

is it .mdb
    Here is a query I created to return data from one table EOM MONTH AUG2019.

SELECT [EOM MONTH AUG2019].UserId, [EOM MONTH AUG2019].[UserName], [EOM MONTH AUG2019].Pub, [EOM MONTH AUG2019].[Pub Name], [EOM MONTH AUG2019].Type, [EOM MONTH AUG2019].TypeDesc, [EOM MONTH AUG2019].FunctionDesc, [EOM MONTH AUG2019].Quantity, [EOM MONTH AUG2019].[Unit Cost], [EOM MONTH AUG2019].TotalCost
    FROM [EOM MONTH AUG2019]
    WHERE ((([EOM MONTH AUG2019].UserId)=[Like 077 or 331]));

June7 is online now VIP
    Should not have table for each month. Data should be imported into a single table. That is real solution to this problem.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

don't disagree, but OP says the db is old and works for them

June7 is online now VIP
    I wonder for how long and how many tables there are or do they delete them?

It works, apparently with some inconvenience now trying to eliminate.

How are queries, forms, reports currently dealing with changing table name?

So either redesign data structure or write VBA to handle the variable name or continue to manually change query SQL statement.

davegri is offline Excess Access
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Attachment 40011

Wonder, see attached DB. If you're willing to use a form here's a way:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EOM.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	14.9 KB 
ID:	40012

You could use comboboxes instead of textboxes to show the allowable names.
    Last edited by davegri; 10-22-2019 at 04:41 PM. Reason: clarif

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.