Theof is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit

ODBC connection retry logic in Access 2019

Hello everyone. One of the 'new' features in Access 2019 is ODBC connection retry logic. The official explanation - if Access loses the ODBC connection to an external data source, Access tries to reconnect to the data source automatically.

I was wondering, is there anyway to simulate/incorporate this new feature in previous versions of Access (2010 - 2016)? - Preferably a setting in the DSN or something that doesn't involve much coding.

What I would have preferred to do is use the 2019 Runtime for all users and this way, the new feature will be available to them, regardless of the type of backend that they are connected to. But it appears that the 2019 Runtime is not readily available.

Thanks.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    The only method I know of is to attempt to retrieve a value (e.g. DLookup) from a linked table that you know will always have data in one field, such as a table of users. If it fails, your connection is surely lost. Not 100% reliable but pretty close. Then you relink via code. I suppose you could always refresh the links automatically without checking, but that seems klunky to me. Checking the connection property is of no use - it won't tell you if it's valid.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.