EddieN1 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2010 64bit

Migrating from Access 2010 to Access 365

Can anyone point me to some help on migrating from Access 2010 to a Desktop version of Access 365? When I try to open the 2010 database with 365, I get the attached error message and Access displays the hourglass till I "kill" it. I have stepped through the VBA code and it fails on locking some controls on a Form. I have eliminated that code just for testing and it fails when it issues a SHELL command. I get the feeling that I need to do some kind of "conversion" or reset some VBA references or maybe something else. Any help anyone can provide would be appreciated. Thanks, Eddie
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by EddieN1; 10-18-2019 at 08:39 PM.

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    AFAIK you need no conversion. I can open db's older than 2010 no problem. You don't say what bit version of Office and Windows that Access 365 is running on. If 64 you could have an issue there, but I've never seen that error message due to bitness issues. If not 64 bit then disable any startup code and default opening form (I presume you can shift bypass). Then check for broken/missing references as a start. If none found, try compiling the code and fix any errors that may arise. If still no luck, put a break on the startup code and step through until you raise an error. Just saying it errors on a Shell command line doesn't help us much. We'd need to know the error message and number, and see the code.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

EddieN1 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2010 64bit
    The problem turned out to be an old version of vbWatchDog. I implemented this very nice add-on back in 2012 when it was still free. It worked great as I was developing the Database, but I never upgraded to the more current version. I removed it from the Database and it runs fine on Access 365 without it. Since the Database has been in production for years and is super stable, I can live without it and don't plan to upgrade to latest version. My overall takeaway is that if you run into issues running on 365, consider any third-party routines in the Database. Hope this helps others. Eddie

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Good of you to come back and post what the solution was. Thanks and good luck!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.