ijaz8883 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Brackets (] or } in Access Report

Hi Experts
    Is there any way to use brackets (} or ]) in Access Report. It may be the same data in any column or any word may be used to perform this task. But how is it possible?

Any way to draw brackets in Access Report as I said below. Its only edited not real. But I want the same in Access Report.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brackets in Report.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	39944

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Maybe with a group of line controls. However, if you want this to be dynamic, only with a bunch of VBA and then only maybe.

What are you trying to accomplish?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Maybe with a group of line controls. However, if you want this to be dynamic, only with a bunch of VBA and then only maybe.

What are you trying to accomplish?
    Mr. June7
    I am working on a report where I have several kind of data in many categories. In one category I have 10 rows of a category. In which I may be 2, 3, 4 type of rows/cases in same related to a single person which should be assigned with a brackets so that they may not read with others/below or above lines.
    I have also a solution to color them but we have no color printer. in the same scenario i have to draw the brackets to show that these rows are related with someone single person

June7 is online now VIP
    You mean this is a visual clue for readers not to give attention to other records because there is nothing to prevent them actually reading them. Really, probably best and easiest is to use report Sorting & Grouping features.
    Last edited by June7; 10-17-2019 at 03:04 PM.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    you can make up the brackets using the Symbols characterset - you will find them around chr 246 to 255. However no idea how you might use them on a report

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	24 
Size:	3.7 KB 
ID:	39958

but why not just provide a group header for the related person? - for your brackets to work they need to be together anyway

Edit: Thinking about it, if I was going to do this I would need to be able to determine the following:

Code:
    is there more than one record for the related person?
    if no - display blank
    if yes then 
         is this the first record in the displayed order?
        if yes display chr(252)
        if no then
            is this the last record in the displayed order?
            if yes display chr(254)
            if no display chr(250)
    for balance, you can only display chr(253) if a) there are an odd number of records, b) there are at least 3 records (which is a given if there are an odd number of records and there is more than 1 record) and c) you can determine which is the middle record

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    You mean this is a visual clue for readers not to give attention to other records because there is nothing to prevent them actually reading them. Really, probably best and easiest is to use report Sorting & Grouping features.
    Thanks a lot Jue7 but I also described that i have already many grouping and sorting options and I could not do this because in the same category some more data required to add. However thank a lot

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    you can make up the brackets using the Symbols characterset - you will find them around chr 246 to 255. However no idea how you might use them on a report

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	24 
Size:	3.7 KB 
ID:	39958

but why not just provide a group header for the related person? - for your brackets to work they need to be together anyway

Edit: Thinking about it, if I was going to do this I would need to be able to determine the following:

Code:
    is there more than one record for the related person?
    if no - display blank
    if yes then 
         is this the first record in the displayed order?
        if yes display chr(252)
        if no then
            is this the last record in the displayed order?
            if yes display chr(254)
            if no display chr(250)
    for balance, you can only display chr(253) if a) there are an odd number of records, b) there are at least 3 records (which is a given if there are an odd number of records and there is more than 1 record) and c) you can determine which is the middle record
    Thanks a lot Mr. Ajax
    It near about the solution but I its not required because its break the lines between the rows and also may be one ID above and the second down and it would be different as shown. I examined that Its impossible for me to use this critical code for my project, so now I left it.
    However thank a lot to answer this critical question. I appreciated your efforts.
    Thanks again

CJ_London is offline VIP
    the image I posted was of the character set - it was not intended to be an example of what it might look like. So this comment

because its break the lines between the rows and also may be one ID above and the second down
    is not applicable if you thought it was an example of what it might look like

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Mr. Ajax
    Thanks a lot, First I think its impossible but now when I read carefully your comments I wondered.
    Can you send me the DB you have changed to made that brackets. I shall be thankful to you plz

Because I still don't understand where to put this code, in report in which event?
    It is possible that I may create another field in the form/report to show the numbers of 1, 1, 1 for one (3) duplicate records and 2, 2, 2, 2 for other (4) duplicate records which may bound in bracket.
    But I don't understand where to put this code for output, If you send the DB you have tested I will feel much easy to do this.
    Thanks a Lot
    Last edited by ijaz8883; 10-23-2019 at 09:21 PM. Reason: After physical checking Its possible to do this

CJ_London is offline VIP
    I don't have any code - just advising you how it would need to be done, or at least how I would do it

With regards the list of characters that is a simple form - see attached db
    Attached Files Attached Files

orange is online now Moderator
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    As others have suggested, a report with some grouping - perhaps based on Category-- seems appropriate and more direct that concocting customized brackets??
    Whether bound in bracket or reported under a group heading seems format rather than function.

Can you provide a sample of the output to clarify your ultimate requirement?

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    I don't have any code - just advising you how it would need to be done, or at least how I would do it

With regards the list of characters that is a simple form - see attached db
    Thank you So much. If you don't provide this DB I would never be able to complete my project.
    I have completed my project manually adding two fields in Table, because I am not expert in Access coding, so:
    I have created 02 Fields in my Table: SymbolCode_1 & SymbolCode_2
    in which one for left side and 2nd for right side to assign that, these are connected with each other.
    I tried to calculate the [SymbolCode_1]+/-16 but where I found the 0 its make problem for me because 0 for no assignment needed but it also +16 =16 assign the irritating symbols So, I failed to do this.

lets suppose: the code is below:
    SymbolCode_1: Left Side Bracket: 230 231 232
    SymbolCode_2: Right Side Bracket: 246 247 248
    I could not find any other solution but its work for me.
    You can see the sample that the said lines are just connected with others with someone backdoor reasons but there is no same data, and I could not group them separately.

Now the project is completed. I am Happy and Thankful to you.
    Marking your answer as Worked.

Mr. orange
    Lets see

Name:	a.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	127.9 KB 
ID:	40039

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Happy to help, glad you got it working

orange is online now Moderator
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.