peterFisp is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Reestablishing a link to a table after deleting that link

Hi guys,

Having split my data from my code and using linked tables, I deleted one such link and now cannot find any method of recovering it. Other than stepping back to a saved version. I am using Office Pro Plus 2019, which I assume includes Access 2016.

I am playing with OLE and Attachments and found these just simply not to work. Having read that the Attachment approach is the newer and so the method to use. I added a field to the relevant table but then found this not to work either. Double-clicking it has no effect. However, I found that if I open the table directly I can display the Attachments panel by double-clicking the field.

So I read elsewhere that the issue was solved after refreshing the link to this table. Did that, with no more positive result. And so I though if I delete the link from my front-end, and then recover it, this should be my best option. But now I cannot find any means of adding that dropped link. There used to be an import/export with external data that would offer the option to link rather than import. But none of the items I explore appear to offer that option.

What am I missing here?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    One problem with OLE and Attachment fields is embedding files in db use up Access file size limit. I would only do that if a db is not expected to grow or to grow little. Instead, leave files in external folder and save path/filename in text field.

I don't know why External Data is not allowing link to table. I have no problem linking to table with attachment field
    and opening attachment via the table link.

Sometimes weirdness is due to corruption and some rebuilding may be needed.

If you want to provide files for analysis, follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

peterFisp is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Hi June7, and thank you kindly for responding. Always helps me along.

I think I just needed the reassurance that it was me and not Access. So I did eventually found the way to relink that table.

As to Attachments, yes, maybe simply having a reference of the file location may be the way to go. I am including images in this database and it is already at 85MB with only about 50 rows. What I found with OLE and Attachments sofar is this: an OLE field I just cannot get to work. With an attachment field, I read up on the need to drag the relevant data source onto the form design. This works, sort of. I find it is very patchy. Sometimes it only works on the first row in the form display; as soon as I go to the next row, it will not work. At other times, I have found it not to work at all.

On the whole, for what it is worth, the Access I use out of Office Pro Plus 2019 is very unstable. Putting out weird error messages at launch that then disappear if I close and reopen the DB.
    Thanks again for the input.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    I've never had success with OLEObject fields. Never had problem with Attachment field displaying images (except PDF). But I am still using Access 2010. Doubt will ever upgrade.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.