Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    accesstos is offline Expert
    Windows XP Access 2007

There is no [ControlBeingMousedOver] property.
    You are losing your time. You have write so many lines in this thread to avoid some lines in a code module.

Walk on Apr's way.

pdanes is offline Competent Performer
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by accesstos View Post
    You are losing your time. You have write so many lines in this thread to avoid some lines in a code module.
    Walk on Apr's way.
    I'm not wasting (losing) my time - I'm investigating, researching and learning. Maybe other people following will learn something as well. Stopping at the first instant you have something that works is the mark of a drone, who cares nothing for his craft, but just wants to get a job done and collect his paycheck. That's not me - I want to know more than just the minimum necessary.

If you don't know of a way to do this, well, you're in good company - nobody else seems to know either. But do you KNOW, for a fact, that this CANNOT be done? If so, what is your source for this information, please?

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Here's the closest thing I have found to simulate a MouseOver event(and MouseOut). However, it requires code and a class module
    and some preparation on Form load. I haven't investigated it further --to use it with specific type of control (textbox).
    If anyone does expand upon the code, please post samples for others.

I agree that learning, researching, investigating are not time wasters.

Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    Here's the closest thing I have found to simulate a MouseOver event(and MouseOut). However, it requires code and a class module
    and some preparation on Form load. I haven't investigated it further --to use it with specific type of control (textbox).
    If anyone does expand upon the code, please post samples for others.

I agree that learning, researching, investigating are not time wasters.
    That's pretty neat as well. Interesting way to generate an event that doesn't exist in native Access - the MouseOut event.

Never expected that my posting such a simple question would generate so many fascinating new ways to do so many different things. Fairly common occurrence in these forums, though - you start out digging for worms, and you end up striking gold.

orange is offline Moderator
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Agree again --sometimes it isn't the end point, but the journey that opens a better appreciation of things generally.
    Sometimes it's frustration and "worms" (no gold). You can have custom events, but there aren't many samples, and even fewer with any sort of comments for the newbie. ChrisO (now deceased) was a real knowledge base of classes/class modules and thoughtful discussion. But I find his code lacks comments. Now he knew his stuff intimately and probably thought the code didn't need comments (he knew it so well and understood the concepts and theory). But, although he has left us several class module examples, I still find it a repeated exercise to follow the logic and flow whenever I reopen one in response to a post or a new effort to research/investigate something.

If you find examples or pursue this MouseOver or MouseOut, please post your findings. It may help someone.

You may find this thread of interest.

Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    Agree again --sometimes it isn't the end point, but the journey that opens a better appreciation of things generally.
    Sometimes it's frustration and "worms" (no gold). You can have custom events, but there aren't many samples, and even fewer with any sort of comments for the newbie. ChrisO (now deceased) was a real knowledge base of classes/class modules and thoughtful discussion. But I find his code lacks comments. Now he knew his stuff intimately and probably thought the code didn't need comments (he knew it so well and understood the concepts and theory). But, although he has left us several class module examples, I still find it a repeated exercise to follow the logic and flow whenever I reopen one in response to a post or a new effort to research/investigate something.

If you find examples or pursue this MouseOver or MouseOut, please post your findings. It may help someone.

You may find this thread of interest.
    Yes, there is always a great deal more to be learned, no matter how much I study. There are other sages who have dropped off the scene - Stephen Lebans, for one. I have used a huge amount of his code - in particular, his picture class has literally made some of my applications. Without it, these apps would simply not exist.

You bet, if I find anything useful, I will post it here. I have benefitted immensely from freely shared contributions to these forums, and I do the same, when I feel I have anything useful to contribute.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    I haven't followed this thread in any detail but often find myself digging for unusual ways of solving issues
    I often use the mouse over event for displaying help text or thumbnail images related to the control being 'moused over'.
    Never tried doing this for control tips as I don't use them ...and anyway the tip appears when you move the mouse over the control!!!!

Whilst this doesn't answer your questions specifically, you may find parts of my example app attached worth looking at for ideas.
    See this article for a detailed explanation if interested: Accurately Move Forms & Controls

In particular, look at forms 4 & 5 which involve the use of mouse over events to display data & images
    In addition, forms1-3 cause a popup zoom form to appear and move position when a control is double clicked.
    Form1A is a very quick & dirty modification to do the same thing using mouse move - its pretty hopeless as it stands due to flickering.
    That's fixable but I don't have the time now

Hopefully this will give you further ideas to explore
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pdanes View Post
    I'm not wasting (losing) my time - I'm investigating, researching and learning. Maybe other people following will learn something as well. Stopping at the first instant you have something that works is the mark of a drone, who cares nothing for his craft, but just wants to get a job done and collect his paycheck. That's not me - I want to know more than just the minimum necessary.

If you don't know of a way to do this, well, you're in good company - nobody else seems to know either. But do you KNOW, for a fact, that this CANNOT be done? If so, what is your source for this information, please?
    I like you because you are like me. I am involved with computers just for investigating, researching and learning. This is my hobby, not my job, and this is not waste of time. But when I need something that doesn't exists, I have to create it, not to keep searching for something that doesn't exists (that is waste of time), and that gives me the pleasure of creation.
    I never said that something cannot be done, I said exactly the oposite.

I have an inquiring mind too, but, unfortunately, the great philosophical question "Why is there something rather than nothing?" has not yet been answered.

Cheers,
    John

P.S. I suggest you a very good book for VBA programming:
    https://www.amazon.com/VBA-Developer...dp_ob_title_bk

P.S. 2: Thank's a lot for the correction (losing/wasting)!

Quote Originally Posted by isladogs View Post
    I haven't followed this thread in any detail but often find myself digging for unusual ways of solving issues
    I often use the mouse over event for displaying help text or thumbnail images related to the control being 'moused over'.
    Never tried doing this for control tips as I don't use them ...and anyway the tip appears when you move the mouse over the control!!!!

Whilst this doesn't answer your questions specifically, you may find parts of my example app attached worth looking at for ideas.
    See this article for a detailed explanation if interested: Accurately Move Forms & Controls

In particular, look at forms 4 & 5 which involve the use of mouse over events to display data & images
    In addition, forms1-3 cause a popup zoom form to appear and move position when a control is double clicked.
    Form1A is a very quick & dirty modification to do the same thing using mouse move - its pretty hopeless as it stands due to flickering.
    That's fixable but I don't have the time now

Hopefully this will give you further ideas to explore
    Thanks, also neat. The bit with tooltips in this specific case is that the tip takes a bit to appear, and the text is small. I want something that reacts instantly and is large enough to not require squinting. But that's a different issue than what i have been pursuing in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by pdanes View Post
    Thanks, also neat. The bit with tooltips in this specific case is that the tip takes a bit to appear, and the text is small. I want something that reacts instantly and is large enough to not require squinting. But that's a different issue than what i have been pursuing in this thread.
    That's precisely the reason I don't use control tips. Instead I have a label caption showing help text in a large font and bright colour such as magenta which is displayed on mouse move events
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!

apr pillai is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by isladogs View Post
    That's precisely the reason I don't use control tips. Instead I have a label caption showing help text in a large font and bright colour such as magenta which is displayed on mouse move events
    I have something on the Tooltip and Tag Property usage, to cut the time delay and works on the MouseMove Event:

https://www.msaccesstips.com/2009/02...ime-delay.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by apr pillai View Post
    I have something on the Tooltip and Tag Property usage, to cut the time delay and works on the MouseMove Event:

https://www.msaccesstips.com/2009/02...ime-delay.html
    Thanks Apr
    I use the tag property extensively though hadn't thought of using it for that purpose.
    Your approach is otherwise similar to what I do in place of control tips

I never said that something cannot be done, I said exactly the oposite.
    You wrote
    That is what I asked about. Do you know this for a fact? If so, how?

NOT a different way to accomplish the task. I already have lots of those, courtesy of both my own efforts and the assistance of people who have responded in this thread. I want to know about this specific thing. If you only don't know how to do it, that's understandable. If you KNOW that it CANNOT be done, how do you know it?

Windows XP Access 2007
    Yes, I said that, and I also said that you have to write code to create it. If you know something else, please illuminate us.

And yes, I feel lucky when I am in company with people that they knows what they don't know.

You are asking for something that don't provided from the object model of Access and you don't accept this fact. We show you a way that is doing that you attempt to achieve and also gives the possibilities to learn more, but you don't want to accept it. Seems like you are looking for ready meal.

Anyway, for those that wants to discover the possibilities of object oriented programming in VBA, I attach the sample database of Apr Pillai with a couple of tweaks (MouseMove21.zip).
    If we want to have an object as the "LastMouseMovedTextbox", we can declare a new public variable of the clsTxt in Form's code module level, and make a pointer to this object within the MouseMove event of the last "mouse moved" textbox.

Cheers,
    John
    Attached Files Attached Files

Yes, I said that, and I also said that you have to write code to create it. If you know something else, please illuminate us.

And yes, I feel lucky when I am in company with people that they knows what they don't know.

You are asking for something that don't provided from the object model of Access and you don't accept this fact. We show you a way that is doing that you attempt to achieve and also gives the possibilities to learn more, but you don't want to accept it. Seems like you are looking for ready meal.

Anyway, for those that wants to discover the possibilities of object oriented programming in VBA, I attach the sample database of Apr Pillai with a couple of tweaks (MouseMove21.zip).
    If we want to have an object as the "LastMouseMovedTextbox", we can declare a new public variable of the clsTxt in Form's code module level, and make a pointer to this object within the MouseMove event of the last "mouse moved" textbox.

Cheers,
    John
    I know how to write code to create it. I have done some myself, and other people in this thread have shown me several other ways. I have acknowledged this and thanked the contributors. That is done - a closed book. Why do you keep harping on it?

The object model of Access DOES, very much, provide these properties I ask about. However, they do not seem to be available at the exact point that I want to use them in this case. At least, I think they are not. Some are, like properties of the form. Some do not seem to be, like properties of the control under the mouse pointer. But maybe they are, and I just haven't been smart enough to figure out how.

You claim that they are not, but offer no proof to support your assertion. I'm not looking for 'ready meal', as you write. I want to KNOW, yes or no, are these properties available. If you know, please site your source for this knowledge:

- A document from Microsoft showing the list of properties exposed at design time (in which the MousedOver property is missing).
    - A knowledge base article explaining what may and may not be used at design time.
    - An article from a recognized Access authority explaining the situation.

Anything like that will satisfy me. I want to KNOW. I don't want your guesses, or your comments about me being too lazy to write code, or rationalizations why I should stop looking for information and just do it in code. If you KNOW, point me to your source of knowledge. If all you have is more repetitions of what has already been said a dozen times in this thread, then please stop - you're just wasting bandwidth, and not helping anyone.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.