shewitt is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Can we have two users in design mode at the same time.

We are new to access and have many tables to set up. One of us started the database and the other is going to create some of the tables. We can share the database so we each have access to it, but when the user that did not create the access file tries to open the database, it is in read only mode. This happens even when the original user has the file closed. How do we make the database shareable so both users can design tables, etc.?? Is this an issue within Access or our sharing? How do we work around this issue?

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I think I'd design tables in a separate db and import them as a way to avoid the potential for any corruption or design conflicts. However, I don't think that has anything to do with
    when the user that did not create the access file tries to open the database, it is in read only mode.
    State why you think it is read only. Prompts? There's a message at the very top indicating the db can't be modified?
    This is on a network? No one is using a usb drive?
    Is there a lock file in the folder where the db is kept? (.lccdb) when no one has it open?
    Check Trusted Locations settings in options on the other person's pc.

I've never tried to share a db in the design phase so I could be wrong thinking that it's not a great idea if it's doable.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Dave14867 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Is the db split? If not, that may be the reason for such behavior. If it is not, I suggest splitting it.

I agree with micron, start another db and design tables then import them into the real db.

Mickjav is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I always work with two versions the design and the development db if If the program is active I update the main data file when works completed on back end

I tag the main control with the version accde is the working db and accdb is devloper look at the title database dreams ?????

If you have two users accessing the same datafile you can't open objects in both in design view I have tried that and just get a message.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-09-26 (2).png 
Views:	11 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	39820

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-09-26 (3).png 
Views:	11 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	39821

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.