JRodko is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2016

CSV Export no longer working.

I have a series of queries that export a mix of numeric and text data. The queries still work just fine without issue. Exporting to excel works fine.

My output seems to be getting quite scrambled wherever fields have a line break in them, even though I am using a comma as my delimiter. The issue seems to persist whether it is CSV or TXT for example.

What's very strange is that this has never happened before, even though much of the data is unchanged. I even rolled back to a previous database from a time I know for certain these exports were working and still I end up with a scrambled result. Many of the text fields are split up and thrown into several records for example.

Any ideas? The only thing I can think of is that I've recently installed some software that may have modified my Access engine somehow?

I'm using 64 bit Office 2019. Like I said I have never had this happen before and I have not modified the queries, data, or exports in any way since the last time it ran properly.

Thank you!

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    Do you use a different SpecificationName for the export?

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I'm not entirely sure what that is but I have not changed anything.

sgtdetritus is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Have you tried exporting the data to Excel, examining it then re-importing in smaller segments?
    It sounds a little dumb but we have a DB that takes a big file dump from SAP and brings it in. One of the problems we came across is that certain special characters that come in from international customers interface created something strange in the delimiting that threw off everything after that special character. Since our table in question is mostly text fields it was hard to spot until it tried to import text into a date or number field.

What we ended up doing is dumping everything out in 1000 record chunks. Import a chunk at a time to a backup edition of the DB (not the production version). rinse, repeat, until you get an error. That at least gave us an idea where the strange crap was. It was tedious, but it worked. we were able to identify and excise the bad record and everything else went back into alignment.

After that we worked out how to add additional controls to the import process. including importing first to a temporary table to keep pollution out of the production data and letting import errors happen there before appending things to the production tables. This may not be the most elegant method, but it may work for you.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtdetritus View Post
    Have you tried exporting the data to Excel, examining it then re-importing in smaller segments?
    It sounds a little dumb but we have a DB that takes a big file dump from SAP and brings it in. One of the problems we came across is that certain special characters that come in from international customers interface created something strange in the delimiting that threw off everything after that special character. Since our table in question is mostly text fields it was hard to spot until it tried to import text into a date or number field.

What we ended up doing is dumping everything out in 1000 record chunks. Import a chunk at a time to a backup edition of the DB (not the production version). rinse, repeat, until you get an error. That at least gave us an idea where the strange crap was. It was tedious, but it worked. we were able to identify and excise the bad record and everything else went back into alignment.

After that we worked out how to add additional controls to the import process. including importing first to a temporary table to keep pollution out of the production data and letting import errors happen there before appending things to the production tables. This may not be the most elegant method, but it may work for you.
    Thanks for this. I have been off this issue for a while now, but will try this when I revisit.

Cheers

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.