Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    A combo would work but methinks I might use a listbox. Have ALL the associated fields permanently in view rather than one. Also, when viewing existing records a combo won't distinguish which is which until you drop it down, and if it's bound but editable then that's asking for trouble.

This is a case where rigged database design is required because fundamentally rhe business approach is weak. If you can't remember your employee id you shouldn't be working there. That's my 2 cents

bfotk is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2007
    Thanks. Let me clarify the "don't remember employee id" statement. The people who are unlikely to know their employee IDs are the union members, not the people sitting at the workstations in the union's office, let's say the bus drivers rather than the people managing data in the drivers' union who aren't going to remember all drivers' IDs. We do remember one ID. When the employer made the first move from SSNs to generated IDs, they started the IDs with 1. Everybody in the union office remembers which driver has ID of 1.

Setting that aside, you may have made a very useful suggestion. I've not taken a look at the listbox approach. It solved a problem for me once various years ago. I can see it being answer.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    We can (so far) use middle initials to help....

As a stopgap, I highlighted the middle initial field on the main data form for all members to attract attention to it: bright yellow background rather than white and a bolded letter besides.
    Because of the 'so far' this is only a stopgap, you need to find some other basis for verifying you have chosen the right person as suggested above. I presume this is what you are trying to achieve with initial
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	10 
Size:	8.1 KB 
ID:	39835

per my suggestion see attached db
    Attached Files Attached Files

moke123 is online now Me.Dirty=True
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    I have a sample search db in this thread...https://www.accessforums.net/showthr...362#post423362

It searches by first, last, or both names. If no match is found, a form opens to enter a new person. If any matches are found, it opens a form with a listbox of all the matches. You can then select a matching person or opt to add a new one. In constructing the list box you can add whatever fields you need to positively ID the person your looking for. The sample only has a name and date of birth. It also uses 3 methods of identifying matches (exact matches, levensctein distance and soundex) to try to compensate for any spelling mistakes ( ie. john, jon )

Not exactly what you want but may give you some ideas.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.