k11ngy is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Macro help

Hi

My students have an exam soon. They have to learn below, which I can show them but of course will hey remember. I was given the code but wanted to know easy way to build this code rather than have to remember it without a handout to help

Appreciate help

Regards

Steve

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Steve,
    Suggest you give us something to work with. Perhaps you hit the save button a little early???

k11ngy is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Apologies

Option Compare Database

Private Sub updateDonorRecord_Click()
    updatedDonations = CurrentTotal + DonationAmount
    If updatedDonations < 26 Then
    updatedStatus = "Bronze"
    ElseIf updatedDonations < 51 Then
    updatedStatus = "Silver"
    ElseIf updatedDonations < 76 Then
    updatedStatus = "Gold"
    Else: updatedStatus = "Platinum"
    End If

End Sub

Quote Originally Posted by k11ngy View Post
    Hi

My students have an exam soon. They have to learn below, which I can show them but of course will hey remember. I was given the code but wanted to know easy way to build this code rather than have to remember it without a handout to help

Appreciate help

Regards

Steve

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    A few comments if I may:
    - that isn't a macro, it's a procedure - specifically a private sub. Granted, in Excel, these are referred to as macros, but that has an entirely different context in Access
    - learning vba code is a long curve for most of us. There is no magic bullet for replicating such events as this. You need to know the properties and methods of an object in order to write code for it, or you resort to macros, which have their limitations. Experienced developers don't use macros 99.5% of the time.
    - I presume you're showing the top of the module code because I see Option Compare. Every module should have Option Explicit at the top or else you deserve the trouble you get. This is an option in vb editor "Require variable declaration". On the subject of variable declaration, you appear to be using variables that have not been declared.
    - it is generally considered to be bad design to store calculations, but I can't be sure if that is the case here as we don't know what updateddonations is
    - pretty sure this is incorrect - Else: The colon will make this a line label and it will never execute
    - there are other potential issues, such as if updateddonations is null, none of these status values will be applied
    - lastly in reference to your post, please use code tags (#) and indentation when posting code. It makes it easier to read.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

k11ngy is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thank you and appreciate feedback, time for me to get some training

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    A few comments if I may:
    - that isn't a macro, it's a procedure - specifically a private sub. Granted, in Excel, these are referred to as macros, but that has an entirely different context in Access
    - learning vba code is a long curve for most of us. There is no magic bullet for replicating such events as this. You need to know the properties and methods of an object in order to write code for it, or you resort to macros, which have their limitations. Experienced developers don't use macros 99.5% of the time.
    - I presume you're showing the top of the module code because I see Option Compare. Every module should have Option Explicit at the top or else you deserve the trouble you get. This is an option in vb editor "Require variable declaration". On the subject of variable declaration, you appear to be using variables that have not been declared.
    - it is generally considered to be bad design to store calculations, but I can't be sure if that is the case here as we don't know what updateddonations is
    - pretty sure this is incorrect - Else: The colon will make this a line label and it will never execute
    - there are other potential issues, such as if updateddonations is null, none of these status values will be applied
    - lastly in reference to your post, please use code tags (#) and indentation when posting code. It makes it easier to read.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.