RikApple is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Maths dependent on input

Hi

I am very new to this so please bear with me.

I am wanting to calculate a field that will change based on input from the user.

The fields are A) Maximum number of users.
    B) Remaining available slots.

When a user completes the form, I want the available slots to reduce my one. I assume this will be on a button click?

To add to this I will have potentially 50+ of these so it will need to reduce the correct field. I am defining these by a unique reference number e.g

REF Course Max Users Remaining Users

A23 Maths 8 7

A33 Physics 19 11

B11 English 11 11

So what I would like ideally to happen is when someone for example selects course A33 (Physics) then the remaining user count will reduce from 11 to 10.

Any help with this is much appreciated in advance.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Saving calculated data, especially aggregate data (or in your case, decreasing value) is poor design. Enter transaction records (increases and decreases) and calculate net balance when needed. The concept is described in http://allenbrowne.com/AppInventory.html
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Saving calculated data, especially aggregate data (or in your case, decreasing value) is poor design.
    I don't see where it states that the calculation is to be stored, but it was a reasonable assumption. I'm going to assume that the course selections are being stored, so it could be as simple as the DSum or DCount of that field, subtracted from the course limit, as an expression in a form calculated field. However, what also raises a red flag is this
    To add to this I will have potentially 50+ of these so it will need to reduce the correct field
    I suspect these tables are designed like spreadsheets; i.e. there is a field for every course. If that is the case, it may be time to start over with the design.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

June7 is offline VIP
    Biggest clue to me that OP wanted to save calculation was stating there is a field for:

I presumed they were talking about a table field.

Last edited by June7; 09-21-2019 at 03:39 PM.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Good catch!

RikApple is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

No use

Quote Originally Posted by RikApple View Post
    Hi

I am very new to this so please bear with me.

I am wanting to calculate a field that will change based on input from the user.

The fields are A) Maximum number of users.

When a user completes the form, I want the available slots to reduce my one. I assume this will be on a button click?

To add to this I will have potentially 50+ of these so it will need to reduce the correct field. I am defining these by a unique reference number e.g

REF Course Max Users Remaining Users

A23 Maths 8 7

A33 Physics 19 11

B11 English 11 11

So what I would like ideally to happen is when someone for example selects course A33 (Physics) then the remaining user count will reduce from 11 to 10.

Any help with this is much appreciated in advance.

I did start this tread by saying I am a novice at Access! The above answers seem to indicate I am fully conversant with Access which I am not. Let me rephrase this another way.

Where would I do the math? In a query, or in the table? Yes I would like to save the calculation and yes it would be in a table field.

Many thanks again

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Where would I do the math? In a query, or in the table?
    a query.
    Yes I would like to save the calculation and yes it would be in a table field.
    Why? In excel, yes you might do that, but this is access and it is not the way it is intended to work. Either way you still need to use a query to update the table

Think about the full process - you are handling one scenario - student selects a course. Other things to consider include:
    What if a student subsequently changes their mind?
    How are you handling the situation where a course is full booked?
    Or there is only one place left and two students try to enrol at the same time?
    The tutor decides to leave and you have no replacement so need to cancel the course?
    etc

June7 is offline VIP
    Saving calculated value to table requires code (macro or VBA) and/or an UPDATE or INSERT action SQL.

So, yes, in button Click event or a data control AfterUpdate event or form BeforeUpdate:

Me!fieldname = something

Nothing to prevent user repeatedly clicking or with edit of textbox causing same calc over and over which will make inaccurate data.

Again, best way to assure accuracy of aggregate data is to base calcs on transaction records.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.