ACu is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit

Question Capturing data from a calculated field in a query to calculate total results in a query/report

I have a program in Access that handles reservations for our firm. I have a query/report that displays 3 fields (Tour Date, Tour Time, and Party Size). I want this query to display a field titled Available Seats. I want it to calculate the remaining seats from the field Party Size -40. 40 is the maximum seats allowed. It displays all of the info such as the date, time, and party size but it only returns from one Party Size entry. I may have up to 3 separate entries on one particular date at 10:00 AM. I want to be able to see all seats available so that if I want to fill a vacancy I'll know how many vacancies I have left. This will enable me to manage my seats more closely. I have tried several formula's but none work. Ex.; Available Seats: =Sum -40([Party Size]) If I have 25 seats filled on the first entry, then 3 on the next and 5 on the last, I'm only seeing 15. I'm not seeing the other entries. I should see a total of 7 seats remaining. I keep getting an error about amalgamated information on Tour Date or something along that line. Is there another formula that will capture that information?

Minty is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    You can't easily aggregate a query field in a non aggregate(totals) query, however there are a couple of ways around this.

Best route would be to simply create a second query that sums your trips (based on trip_date I assume) and link that back to the original query. This can also be achieved using a subquery.
    The less than ideal route would be to use a DSum() but that could get slow and is cumbersome really.

You will possibly need to do some fiddling with date criteria and grouping if your tripdate data includes a time value.
    DLookup Syntax and others http://access.mvps.org/access/general/gen0018.htm
    Please use the star below the post to say thanks if we have helped !
    ↓↓ It's down here ↓↓

ACu is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    Minty,
    Thank you so much for the quick reply. I will definitely check it out.

ACu

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.