Perceptus is offline Expert
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Cant access reference lib

Greetings,

The layout of my database. 1 access backend, 7 front ends, and 1 access database used as reference lib. The reference lib as of late has started to not work for the database front ends. This creates errors as soon as any of the databases are opened, but only on the affected machine. most of the other machines including my developer machine use this setup without issue(and have for 2 decades). There are about 50 users.

All the front ends are stored locally for each user with them pointing to the backend and reference lib on a mapped drive.

Any idea why the reference is now failing? Note that using the 1998 method of putting the reference lib in the location of the database does allow the database to work.

Thank you for your time,

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    just a thought - you say mapped drives - do the users having a problem have that mapped correctly. Have you tried using UNC paths instead?

Windows 10 Access 2016
    That had me hoping. however updating the table links to use unc did not change anything from what i can see. i will double check in a few hours when machines are free.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    So far ive not figured out what is making this occur. But it seems to be spreading like malware. Kinda scary. I think it may have to do with the Mime Type of the database.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    I don't have many other ideas but it would help if you expand on

The reference lib as of late has started to not work for the database front ends. This creates errors as soon as any of the databases are opened, but only on the affected machine
    what are the error messages? I've assumed your reference lib is a file you are linking to for vba code - please confirm.

other questions - what is the reference lib? mdb? accdb? mde? accde?

Also have you gone into references on the problem machines to see if the library is still linked?

And if not, relink it?

more questions

do your users have a mixture of access versions (2007/2010 etc)

and more importantly what is the version of the lib file?

also important - do your users have a mix of 32bit and 64bit office/access installed?

Windows 10 Access 2016
    The error message is :

Compile Error

Can't find project or library

The reference lib is an accdb

"the library cannot be referenced" on the machines having this issue.

of ~50 users most are on 365 with the exception of a few still on the last version prior to 365.

I am unsure on the version of the lib, the question confused me. I assume its the same as the other databases.

There is a mix of 32 and 64 bit users.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    the other questions not answered

Also have you gone into references on the problem machines to see if the library is still linked?

And if not, relink it?

I am unsure on the version of the lib, the question confused me. I assume its the same as the other databases.
    look at the references - 2010 uses the access 14.0 object library for example. a later version will 'update' to use the relevant library. but an earlier version will not. So if your library is using version 16, and your user is on version 14, you will get an error. The library needs to be the earliest you require

if you have a mixture of 32 and 64 bit access, you probably need late binding if referencing other libraries such as excel and any API's will need converting as well

Windows 10 Access 2016
    You cannot link the lib on the machines that is broken on, you get an error that the library cant be referenced(That creating a new database on the problem machine and trying to reference the lib creates this message).

See the references image. And the reference selected is the one which has problems on the problem machines.

From what I can see only Access 16 is used.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.PNG  

CJ_London is offline VIP
    You only seem to be doing half the job - or at least being vague about the situation

the image is of a users version of access - what about an image of the library file references?

you have not confirmed what the access bit (32 or 64) is of the user machine (open access>file>help) - clearly I mean one where the library won't load

you have not confirmed whether your library file is using API's

you have not confirmed whether the library file uses early binding for excel/outlook/etc

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I believe this issue to be with the network. I have still not figured out how it was occuring.

the image is about the library references. the selected file is the file referenced. 64 bit and 32 are mixed however IT feels, I wish only one was used.

there are no API calls

the picture provided does confirm all the libararies in use.

thanks for the help, but this is dead. I am considering it a fluke of poor network health.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Hi
    I haven't followed this thread closely but are you aware that the Windows Common Controls reference isn't installed with Windows 10 and doesn't work with 64-bit Office.
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

CJ_London is offline VIP
    doesn't work with 64-bit Office.
    hot off the press
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Fo...forum=exceldev

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.