DaveT99 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Short text in query is showing aligned RIGHT yet Text in table is aligned left

I have never had the above in a query previously, the table is aligned left aligned BUT the query when run shows the short text field right aligned

Any ideas

I have used this query with a another data set without issue, is there something lurking in this new data set in the table (data in table imported from excel which was download from another system)

Regards

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Cannot replicate issue and never encountered. Would have to review data and query.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Cannot replicate issue and never encountered. Would have to review data and query.
    Cheers, that is why a google search gave nothing. Will prepare and send
    Many Thanks once again
    Dave

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    the table is aligned left aligned BUT the query when run shows the short text field right aligned
    The table field data type is text even if they look like numbers but the field has been right aligned? You can align table data but not query AFAIK.
    Scratch that. I forgot that you said the table was left aligned so reverse the idea. Numbers in the table could be left aligned but the query displays them on the right as it should.

BTW seeing as how you shouldn't be working directly in queries or tables anyway, does it really matter?
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Windows 10 Access 2016

Text aligned right

Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    The table field data type is text even if they look like numbers but the field has been right aligned? You can align table data but not query AFAIK.
    Scratch that. I forgot that you said the table was left aligned so reverse the idea. Numbers in the table could be left aligned but the query displays them on the right as it should.

BTW seeing as how you shouldn't be working directly in queries or tables anyway, does it really matter?
    This is not a permanent application its to review different spare parts data sets, which can vary in field names or scope of data is probbaly better, so not worth building names in forms as sometimes need to split data into a 2nd table if multiple locations or multiple suppliers for the same stock number. So I find table and actually have 150+ queries to search for different materials e.g. BEARING*BALL*, BALL*BEARING*, *BEARING* or *BRG*BALL*" etc

I have cut the file to the BONE and will upload

Thanks for the comment

Windows 10 Access 2016

zip file dB reduced to the bONE

Hi
    Thanks for your response ..............here is the zipped dB

I did think about copying a sample of the data to word to see how it went in

Hope its loaded okay

Dave
    Attached Files Attached Files

June7 is offline VIP
    Okay, cause is Format property for that field in table has "255". I deleted it and query shows left align.

It's a Memo (long text) type field, not short text type.

The longest string in that field is 253 characters. So converting to regular text (short text) type will not lose data.

How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Access 2016

text aligned right

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Okay, cause is Format property for that field in table has "255". I deleted it and query shows left align.

It's a Memo (long text) type field, not short text type.

The longest string in that field is 253 characters. So converting to regular text (short text) type will not lose data.

My fault then oops, actually when I imported it the first time it didnt import correct. so when I checked the field length in Excel was 253 I think, the longest

when I checked the field in access it showed nothing I was sure it always gave the no of characters ie 255 as I thought that was the default

Anyways many many thanks ..........that is why you have never seen that cos it was human error

Thanks Thanks & Many Thanks
    Dave

June7 is offline VIP
    255 is default length for a regular (short text) text field and it is set in the Field Length property. Memo field does not have this property.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.