kepha12 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Do not have Admin access to make changes

Access database originally 2003 version. Now we are in mixed environment, Windows 7 w/2013 and W10 w/365 Business Premium. Since getting 365 Access to open - had to use 32x version instead of 64x of 365, we do not have admin access once opening the database to make changes as the View button is grayed out. I have opened the DB holding shift key, trying most of the main stream fixes found on other sites, - no go.

The Dbase folder is on a network share. It is accessed through a mapped drive. The master file is then copied to the endpoint desktop. Once a user opens the file they are connected with their AD credentials.

The developer of the dbase is remote and he doesn't have a clue how to proceed.

Any suggestions, I will try.

Thanks

addendum
    Database is .mdb format
    Last edited by kepha12; 08-27-2019 at 01:34 PM. Reason: adding more data

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    The master file is then copied to the endpoint desktop
    not quite clear what your setup is.

Your db should be split, backend on your server and a copy of the front end on each users machine. There should be no need to copy the BE and the FE only needs to be copied if there are design changes.

we do not have admin access once opening the database to make changes as the View button is grayed out.
    changes to what? data? or design? If the view button is something your developer created, they should know what the problem is.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    not quite clear what your setup is.

Your db should be split, backend on your server and a copy of the front end on each users machine. There should be no need to copy the BE and the FE only needs to be copied if there are design changes.

changes to what? data? or design? If the view button is something your developer created, they should know what the problem is.
    DB is split. BE on server, FE on client.

The developer cannot make changes to forms. He claims the "View" icon that is grayed out is what he needs access to in order to make a user change so that the user will have access to post that he currently does not have rights to do. According to the developer, he doesn't have a clue what to do next. And neither do I.

The database is working for both 2013 and 2016. Is their a possibility two versions accessing the dbase is causing the issue??

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by kepha12 View Post
    DB is split. BE on server, FE on client.
    So both the FE and the BE are in mdb format?

Is it possible for you to post the FE?? First do a "Compact and Repair, then Zip it.

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Is their a possibility two versions accessing the dbase is causing the issue??
    providing each user has their own copy of the FE then no, should not make a difference.
    Sounds to me like a coding or data issue - or perhaps the db has become corrupted. Don't know what the 'view' button you are referring to is, but the developer should have a master copy and know what the code is that disables (grays out) this button.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Yes. Fe and BE are .mdb. I have attached the file. In an attempt last week as another suggestion, this copy was imported into a new database. So this is what you are looking at. The view button is grayed out that the developer says he needs access to.

The file is to big even compressed. 2.38mg, limit is 2.0 I will keep trying

On a side note, My son is in Anchor Town. He is a pipefitter. I lived there in the late 70's thru early nineties.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I will ask him if he has a master copy.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I can try to email a copy, if you want to go that route. It is 2.02mg in size

Just attach the FE.

Lots of changes to the city.
    It was a nice (warm) summer.... as evidenced by the fires.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    attachment is attached I think

The "VIEW" button is greyed out (unavailable) until you open an object is design view or normal view. Other menu (ribbon) options also exhibit this behavior.

Try selecting a form (I used frmMenu), right clicking on it and select "Design View". Now Look at the "View" button. (If I understand correctly what you are looking at).

Here is the FE converted to ACCDB format (A2007). Can you access the data using this FE?

I had to delete the Tables and the queries from this ACCDB to get the size small enough.

Soooo,
    Extract the file from the zip.
    Hold down the shift key while opening the accdb.
    Go to "External Data", then click on the ACCESS icon.
    Follow the prompts to select the mdb FE: "HALMasterTest.mdb".
    Import only the tables and Queries.
    Do a compact and repair.

Can you access the data using this FE?

If yes, the next step would be to convert the BE to ACCDB format.

NOTE: dB removed per request of the OP

Close all forms. Right click on "frmMenu" and select "Design View". You should be able to make changes to the form.
    Last edited by ssanfu; 08-28-2019 at 02:04 PM.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    So far, I have made it to converting the BE to accdb. Before I do that, I assume to make a copy first and then convert. But where would I put the BE once it is converted to make sure when I open the FE, it is calling the BE data that has been converted.

How do I remove the zip files from the forum, now that I have downloaded your changes?

After the import, compact and repair, I then opened the FE by holding the shift key down. This gave me access to the view button, and also able to right click frmMenu and select design view.

I closed FE, reopened without the shift key. It prompts to enable content. Before I do that, I can right click the frmMenu and select design view, and it does open. This is the only way I could get design view to open when right clicking on frmMenu.

I assume we are good to go with the developer at this point to make his changes. Or should I get the BE converted first before getting him back in the Loop??

Thanks

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Steve,
    Please remove the attachment from your profile
    Thanks

So far, I have made it to converting the BE to accdb. Before I do that, I assume to make a copy first and then convert.
    Always a good idea...

------------------------------------------------------------------
    [QUOTE=kepha12;438188] But where would I put the BE once it is converted to make sure when I open the FE, it is calling the BE data that has been converted.
    Put the ACCDB BE where ever you want it to reside. Then re-link the FE to the ACCDB BE.

After the import, compact and repair, I then opened the FE by holding the shift key down. This gave me access to the view button, and also able to right click frmMenu and select design view.
    You don't have to use the View Menu option to get into design view. Just right click on the form "frmMenu" and select "Design View" in the dialog box - 2nd one down. I never use the View menu button any more.......

It prompts to enable content.
    The 2007 and later versions should be in a trusted location. You can set which folders are trusted.

I closed FE, reopened without the shift key. It prompts to enable content.
    It prompted you because the FE was not in a trusted location - Access wasn't sure the code was malicious or not. If not in a trusted location and the content was not enabled, no code would execute.

I assume we are good to go with the developer at this point to make his changes. Or should I get the BE converted first before getting him back in the Loop??
    I would have both the FE and the BE in the newer format, but it really doesn't matter in regards to the BE file format. For the FE, your developer should be using at least A2007 if the FE file format is A2007 or later.

Remember, you need to relink to the Access file that has the tables (the BE). The BE can be a MDB format, ACCDB format, SQL Server Express (connecting with ODBC), an Excel workbook, a Text file --- you even used to be able to link to a dBase file.

Good luck with your project.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    [QUOTE=ssanfu;438214]Always a good idea...

But where would I put the BE once it is converted to make sure when I open the FE, it is calling the BE data that has been converted.
    Put the ACCDB BE where ever you want it to reside. Then re-link the FE to the ACCDB BE.

You don't have to use the View Menu option to get into design view. Just right click on the form "frmMenu" and select "Design View" in the dialog box - 2nd one down. I never use the View menu button any more.......

The 2007 and later versions should be in a trusted location. You can set which folders are trusted.

Thanks. I will muddle through this tomorrow.

It prompted you because the FE was not in a trusted location - Access wasn't sure the code was malicious or not. If not in a trusted location and the content was not enabled, no code would execute.

I would have both the FE and the BE in the newer format, but it really doesn't matter in regards to the BE file format. For the FE, your developer should be using at least A2007 if the FE file format is A2007 or later.

Remember, you need to relink to the Access file that has the tables (the BE). The BE can be a MDB format, ACCDB format, SQL Server Express (connecting with ODBC), an Excel workbook, a Text file --- you even used to be able to link to a dBase file.

Good luck with your project.
    Thanks. I will muddle through this tomorrow.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.