cebrower is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Navigation pane misbehaving

For some time now, when I create a table using a make table query or when I import an object from another database, the object does not show up in the navigation pane until I close and re-open Access. Today, when I open Access, the navigation pane is completely blank. If I run Compact and Repair, the objects appear and things work properly for a few cycles of opening and closing Access, but after a few cycles the navigation pane comes up blank again? Any suggestions?

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I can understand this if you use code to create a table (there is a refresh method for TableDefs and DatabaseWindow) but not if linking or importing. Suggest you backup copy db and go Run dialog and
    - msaccess.exe /decompile "C:\FolePathToYourDB\NameOfYourDB.mdb"
    -compact/repair
    -close and reopen
    - go to VB Editor and Debug -> Compile

If any errors appear, fix them and recompile.
    - Close vbe
    - CR again

You might get a refreshed view via playing with nav pane groups but I don't think you should have to.
    Last edited by Micron; 06-26-2019 at 02:35 PM. Reason: clarification
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

I've tried all of Micron's suggestions plus I've created a new blank database and imported all the objects from the original, but the navigation pane still comes up blank every 3rd or 4th time I open the database. Sometimes it will come up properly if I close and re-open the database. Other times I have to run compact and repair. Sometimes when I run compact and repair Access reports that it is unable to rename the compacted database, but then the original works OK for a few open/close cycles. This only happens with one of my 4 databases.This is my largest database at 317 MB.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Not sure size would be the issue as 317 is well below the limit. I also doubt that you are nearing the limits for any objects. I'm at the point of 'grasping at straws' now...

If you're in a corporate environment and can find someone who has newer versions of Access and Windows maybe get them to test it for a while.
    When you say the nav pane is blank, does that mean that the sort/group options are gone too? If not, playing with them doesn't restore the 'normal' view?
    There is nothing entered in the search bar (still says Search...)?

I doubt you would be able to zip your file down to 2 mb limit to post here for anyone to test, and the issue doesn't seem to be all that common so I'm out of ideas at the moment (outside of upgrading). Given the age of your M$ products I suspect there's no chance of unpaid help from M$ either. I suspect you will join other forums to seek an answer. Just be courteous and provide links to other sites so that responders can find out what has been suggested elsewhere. Maybe you are already aware of that forum etiquette...

davegri is offline Excess Access
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Can you post an image of the problem?

Here's an image of the problem.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	No Objects.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	39541

I wonder if this problem is due to a corrupt system file. There are several that start with "MSysNavPane". Do any of these files control what is displayed in the navigation pane? Is there a way to rebuild them?

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I think you mean tables, not files. System tables keep a lot of info about db objects. If corrupted, the usual fix is to create a new db and import everything from the old db into the new and do a compact & repair.
    If you've already done that and still have the same issue then I doubt that system tables are at fault, but I'm out of ideas.
    Last edited by Micron; 08-27-2019 at 07:39 AM. Reason: added comment
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.