chriswrcg is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

add a new field to the report

I have a report that I run daily but have decided that I need to add a new field to it. The problem I am having is that I open the report in design view and then add existing fields I am shown all fields I have already placed in the report but no tables so I can add new ones. how can I bring up the available table list so I can add the field I need?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture 2569.PNG 
Views:	10 
Size:	5.8 KB 
ID:	39494

When I open the report wizard and start a new report the field list lets me see all the tables in my database and open them up to select the fields I need.

davegri is offline Excess Access
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    The list of available fields shown is taken from the RecordSource property of the report. If the RecordSource is a query, and that query pulls its fields from a table, and you have added a field to the table, then the query needs to be modifed to include that field.

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    You'd modify the record source of the report to add the new field. If it's a new field in a table, you'd add it in table design view first.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

its an existing field in a table already but in order for me to add it to the report I am having to add that table to a query and when I do it is messing with the calculations of that query since there is no real relationship between the tables in the query now. when I open the new report wizard and start from scratch I can select the table that has the field I want to add as well as all the other tables and query's I am using for the report and there is no problem. There has to be a way to simply bring up all the current tables and query's in the database again so I can add that one dang field into the report without having to start from scratch or mess up all my calculation. Getting very frustrated.

davegri is offline Excess Access
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Here's an image to show how to specify the recordsource for a report.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reportRecordSource.png 
Views:	10 
Size:	15.4 KB 
ID:	39495

I give up. I went back and added the tables to the query's and got it working just fine. the field I wanted showed up and I was able to add it to the report and everything seemed to be working great. Then I noticed that a person was left off of the report for some reason. His data was there but it wasn't showing on the report. I tried putting the data back in, but nothing changed. I added more people and they did not show up either. somehow me adding those tables messed everything up so bad that my data entry form no longer worked and i couldn't add more data. I could....the data was there but it would not bring it up on the report or even show in the data entry form as old data. I took everything back out and reset the page to like it was before and low and behold all the data started showing up again.
    all this because I just wanted to show the notes field on my report.......%$#^%$@# it

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.