srwafa is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Access Chart

I'm not a huge fan of Access charts at all, however, I'm working on a dashboard project that would require the extensive use of chart objects among tables and other things.

Are there huge design related practices against using an Excel linked OLE object that is updated or refreshed using VBA. I'm an above average VBA coder and I'm comfortable that I will find a way around this preferred solution should there be no serious bad practices in using linked OLE objects through the Unbound Object Frame.

What are your thoughts, critique, hurdles to watch out for, basically anything you can think of will go long way.

Much appreciated

Thank you

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Never understood aversion to Access charts. Sure, not as many features as Excel charts but if they get the job done why not use? If Access charts weren't able to meet my requirements then I suppose I would consider Excel embedded object but I've never found the need.

So what do you plan to do? Enter data in Access and have Excel link to Access table to use in chart? Then display that chart in Access form or report? Seems annoyingly complicated to me.

I just tested trying to display Excel chart in UnboundObjectFrame control and right off hit issue "There isn't enough memory to complete the Automation object operation on the OLE object …".

I've never had good experience with OLEObject fields/controls.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

srwafa is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    So what do you plan to do? Enter data in Access and have Excel link to Access table to use in chart? Then display that chart in Access form or report?
    Exactly, I'm creating custom sales reports than must be accessed through a multi-user platform. Excel, would have been the obvious choice but it feels insufficient for the job I need to do. Access is fitting the groove perfectly but is handicapped on sleek visualisations, so I wanted to bring the two together.

Seems annoyingly complicated to me.
    With VBA it doesn't appear to be complicated that much because I can recycle a Public Sub to populate the charts but I'm not sure if it is a good practice and the impact it will have on memory management and whether it will work seamlessly with 32 bit Office.

So I'm still groping for a solution.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    I'm with June on this. Access charts work well for almost all my needs.
    The older charts available before Access 365 were powerful but took some effort to understand.
    Modern charts supplied with 365 are less powerful but easier to learn.

For some examples of Access charts see http://www.mendipdatasystems.co.uk/s...ser/4584605482
    I have many more examples
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.