npa3000 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit

"microsoft access is in an inconsistent state" and "unrecognized database format"

Hi ,

The past 2 weeks, my microsoft access has often been mistaken for the errors listed in the title of the thread.
    I'm doing compact and repair and still going.
    More specifically, I have forms, queries, macros, etc. in a separate file from the tables.
    The errors occur when we are trying to reach the table-access file in
    unspesific time

*Note: This is a project for a small office and the files are located in a server being shared in the network
    Also there are about 10 users

What do you suggest me to do ?

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    First thing:
    It sounds like you may have a corrupted database. You should create a new blank database, then import all your objects, data, and VBA code from the old one to the new one, and start using the new one.

Secondly:
    If you have ten different users using the database, it should be split, into a back-end and front-end, and a separate front-end should be distributed to each of your users. This will greatly decrease the chances of the database getting corrupted again.
    See: https://support.office.com/en-us/art...3-51b1d73498cc

Hi, thanks for your answer.

Well , i will try it.

There is something else that i have to know about this ?

JoeM is offline VIP
    There is something else that i have to know about this ?
    Not sure what you are asking here.

Best practices say you should absolutely split your database if you have more than one user using it.
    Not doing so is begging for more issues to occur, and it is probably only a matter of time until they do.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    It is split? More specifically, I have forms, queries, macros, etc. in a separate file from the tables.
    It is the back end that is the problem? The errors occur when we are trying to reach the table-access file in unspesific time
    Although the last one is unclear. "reaching the table-access file" means opening it directly? Not sure what time would have to do with anything.

Wouldn't be the first time if I've incorrectly interpreted a post...

The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

yes it's split.
    And yes the back end is the one with the problem.
    When I'm saying "reaching the table-access file "i mean when throught queries, the system tries to fetch some records from the back end to be displayed in forms or reports.

It's preferable to keep the back end in a network file and make x copies for x users for the front end file (in a network file again ) or keep the back end in a network file and have a local copy for the front end file (in each user's computers) ?
    Or something else ?

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I would first do as suggested to the fe since that is easy enough to do. The corruption may be there even though the problem arises when attempting to get data. Just make sure you get all the objects when using the dialog to import the objects. If it persists, do the same with the be (or just do both up front in an attempt to be done with it). Another option would be to open the fe using the decompile option then see if that fixes it, but I would create a backup first.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by npa3000 View Post
    It's preferable to keep the back end in a network file and make x copies for x users for the front end file (in a network file again ) or keep the back end in a network file and have a local copy for the front end file (in each user's computers) ?
    Or something else ?
    Typically be is on a server; each user has a local copy of fe in a Trusted Location. There are different ways to handle versioning. One is to modify a version number in a be field when fe is updated. Fe start code checks the version for a match. If not in sync they have to download a new version. Shortcuts are best for handling db opening and downloads.

JoeM is offline VIP
    Or something else ?
    I have seen front-ends kept both in personal user drives on the network, and in local computer drives, so I think you have flexibility there. The key is that each user has their own copy.
    Back-end should be on a cental network drive that everyone has access to.

As far as distributing front-end updates, here is what I usually do. I create a batch file (could do VBScript too) that I put on their Desktop that they use to open the Front-End (use this instead of any shortcut to Access).
    This batch file does the following:
    1. Copies a fresh copy of the front-end from somewhere on the network to a folder on the local computer (i.e. C:\Databases) - I sometimes include code that checks for the existence of the folder on their local computer, and create it first, if necessary
    2. Opens the front-end from this local folder

So everytime they do this, they are essentially copied a fresh version of the front-end to their computer and using that. So is I ever need to make updates, all I have to do is replace the version on the network that is being copied down to their computer.

GinaWhipp is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013 32bit
    This sounds familiar, have a look at...
    https://www.devhut.net/2018/06/13/ac...gnized-format/

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.