EdKerm is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007

sudoku expression in append query

hi all - what would the criteria expression be to do the following - line (or column) of nine single digit number cells, that may either be null or have a value between 1 and 9. I have two queries that return correct results for each cell - each of the 81 cells has its own grid reference (from a1 to i9), by the way, and the 9 columns are numbered 1 to 9, the nine rows are a to i. So, i am creating an append query to add separately the results of each of the above two queries to a table called “possvals”. My problem is in working out an appropriate expression that gives only the possible values for each cell in (say) line a that is “null” and that follows the sudoku rule- ie no value can appear twice in any one row or column. I thought maybe the expression would be something such as -

= >0 and <10 and/but not equal to “the not null values found in the ‘line a’ query” —- to put it in layman’s language ...

As you can see, I am struggling due to miniscule access experience but hopefully this makes some sense as to what I’m getting at.

can you suggest some code that would work? Ed

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Comparing values of fields in same record gets complicated when many fields are involved. Suggest write a VBA function to validate data for each row to determine if value is repeated. Otherwise, normalize table structure.

What is purpose of this data?
    Why are you appending to another table?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

EdKerm is offline Novice
    Hi

thanks for responding. If you are experienced in solving sudoku puzzles, read on. If not, the following will make little sense, and that's OK, don't try and work it out, I will keep on trying to figure out a way on my own (even though I can't do VBA coding at all),

I am just tinkering with an idea - to create in MS Access 2007 a routine that works out for each/any of the unknown cells in any sudoku puzzle ie solves the whole puzzle (no matter what the given numbers are, or which of the 81 cells in the puzzle have given numbers --

A) what the possible numbers are, and then B) by progressive calculations and further elimination of existing numbers, what the final solution is

I won't have time to further elucidate for the next month or so, unfortunately

but thanks anyway EdK

orange is online now Moderator
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL

EdKerm is offline Novice
    Great! Very neat!! thanks very much, Orange EdK

June7 is offline VIP
    I just did a quick Bing search for 'Access VBA sudoku' and got returns for Excel and VB and VB.net.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

EdKerm is offline Novice
    Thanks June7 for providing those links. It looks like Excel is the way to go with Sudoku. But I am loathe to give it away as I have set myself this challenge even though I know almost nothing re VBA coding. I will have to leave it for now, though, as I have other priorities. EdK

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.