smg is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2010 64bit

sql syntax needed to join insert statements for append query

I have several append queries that I would like to join into one sql query. If this is possible, I need to know the proper sql syntax to use between statements. Here are three of the queries sql statements as a sample but I have four more. The reason for so many is that I have to take several passes at the data to separate dollars and hours out of the same fields including and excluding types and dates.

INSERT INTO [FLAT FILE OUTPUT] ( ALIAS, [EV % COMPL], E, YYYMM, [BCWS T DLRS], [BCWP T DLRS], TYPE, ELEMENT_ID, RESP )

SELECT DATA.GROUP_ID_I AS ALIAS, DATA.PCT_COMPLETE AS [EV % COMPL], [ELEMENT MAP].E AS E, [PERIOD MAP].YYYMM, Sum(DATA.BUDGET_BASELINE) AS [BCWS T DLRS], Sum(DATA.EARNED) AS [BCWP T DLRS], [ELEMENT MAP].TYPE, [ELEMENT MAP].ELEMENT_ID, DATA.GROUP_ID_H
    FROM (DATA INNER JOIN [ELEMENT MAP] ON DATA.ELEMENT_ID = [ELEMENT MAP].ELEMENT_ID) INNER JOIN [PERIOD MAP] ON DATA.PERIOD = [PERIOD MAP].PERIOD
    GROUP BY DATA.GROUP_ID_I, DATA.PCT_COMPLETE, [ELEMENT MAP].E, [PERIOD MAP].YYYMM, [ELEMENT MAP].TYPE, [ELEMENT MAP].ELEMENT_ID, DATA.GROUP_ID_H
    HAVING ((([ELEMENT MAP].TYPE)="C"));

INSERT INTO [FLAT FILE OUTPUT] ( ALIAS, [EV % COMPL], E, YYYMM, [BCWS HRS/UTS], [BCWP HRS/UTS], TYPE, ELEMENT_ID, RESP )
    SELECT DATA.GROUP_ID_I AS ALIAS, DATA.PCT_COMPLETE AS [EV % COMPL], [ELEMENT MAP].E AS E, [PERIOD MAP].YYYMM, Sum(DATA.BUDGET_BASELINE) AS [BCWS HRS/UTS], Sum(DATA.EARNED) AS [BCWP HRS/UTS], [ELEMENT MAP].TYPE, [ELEMENT MAP].ELEMENT_ID, DATA.GROUP_ID_H
    FROM (DATA INNER JOIN [ELEMENT MAP] ON DATA.ELEMENT_ID = [ELEMENT MAP].ELEMENT_ID) INNER JOIN [PERIOD MAP] ON DATA.PERIOD = [PERIOD MAP].PERIOD
    GROUP BY DATA.GROUP_ID_I, DATA.PCT_COMPLETE, [ELEMENT MAP].E, [PERIOD MAP].YYYMM, [ELEMENT MAP].TYPE, [ELEMENT MAP].ELEMENT_ID, DATA.GROUP_ID_H
    HAVING ((([ELEMENT MAP].TYPE)="H"));

INSERT INTO [FLAT FILE OUTPUT] ( ALIAS, [EV % COMPL], E, YYYMM, [ETC T DLRS], TYPE, ELEMENT_ID )
    SELECT DATA.GROUP_ID_I AS ALIAS, DATA.PCT_COMPLETE AS [EV % COMPL], [ELEMENT MAP].E AS E, [PERIOD MAP].YYYMM, Sum(DATA.ACTUAL) AS [ETC T DLRS], [ELEMENT MAP].TYPE, [ELEMENT MAP].ELEMENT_ID
    GROUP BY DATA.GROUP_ID_I, DATA.PCT_COMPLETE, [ELEMENT MAP].E, [PERIOD MAP].YYYMM, [ELEMENT MAP].TYPE, [ELEMENT MAP].ELEMENT_ID, [PERIOD MAP].PERIOD, DATA.GROUP_ID_H
    HAVING (((Sum(DATA.ACTUAL))<>0) AND (([ELEMENT MAP].TYPE)="C") AND (([PERIOD MAP].PERIOD)>[Greater than what Period]));

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    I doubt it possible, as you don't insert into the same fields with each statement. If you did, you could probably have union together the statements, though I haven't tested.

INSERT INTO...
    SELECT...
    UNION ALL
    SELECT...
    UNION ALL
    SELECT...

But those would all have to have the same fields in the same order.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I have several append queries that I would like to join into one sql query
    Why? You explain why there are 7 queries but not why you'd want to mesh them all. Is it because you are manually running them one at a time and don't want the hassle? I also doubt it is possible but can't think of a reason why I would want to.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Just a comment - I would suggest you take a step back and fix the naming problems in your tables.

There are spaces in names, special characters in names, and reserved words.

Special characters include "/", "%".

Reserved words used = "Type", "Alias" and "Data" (as a table name).
    Problem names and reserved words in Access

Removing the spaces, special characters and reserved words will save you lots of head slapping and hair pulling.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Agree with previous comments.
    Create a procedure to run each append stztement/query in turn.
    Also do follow ssanfu's advice about names.
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.