kiwifagan is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Migrating Access MSO2007 to Office365 or a later Access version

Hello All,

Have Client with a very customised MSO2007 Access DB, developer has vanished but before he did, he said they couldnt upgrade to a later version of Access.

Question:
    a. Is it possible to upgrade to either latest on Prem Access or Office 365 Access.
    b. Im not an Access developer, probably obvious by the questions; any suggestion on the best way forward.

Client is in Sydney, Australia

Many Thanks for reading.

Terry

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Why he said that is important. If the db uses replication, the latest version that will support that is either 2013 or 2010 (I think the latter).
    If the db in use is of type .mde or .accde ('compiled') then the up to date mdb/accdb version might be updatable but not the compiled version.
    Some things/references/code may not work (e.g. old calendar control) or code may have to be modified to run on 64 bit Office if that's what's being used.
    Is the db split (front/back ends)?
    Whatever updating you attempt do NOT do it on the production version. Make a copy for experimentation.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Im not an Access developer, probably obvious by the questions; any suggestion on the best way forward.
    Putting a professional gloss on it, it does depend on the scale of the issue, whether the app is business critical etc. I certainly wouldn't suggest you upgrade yourself if you are new to access. If the db is your clients you leave yourself open to all sorts of risks if things don't go smoothly. Even recommending someone can lead to risk on your side so make sure any contracts keep you in the clear. The safe thing to do is to suggest to your client that they find an access developer themselves.

I don't think it matters too much where a developer is these days, but generally better to get one local (at least same country) to your client, particularly if there is any likelihood of making changes to the user interface (the front end) either now or down the road.

Is it possible to upgrade to either latest on Prem Access or Office 365 Access.
    you say it is currently 2007 (but perhaps it is a 2000 app running in access 2007) so subject to the issues Micron has mentioned, in principle yes, but it may take some work. Any developer would need to see the current app in order to make an assessment.

You might find someone to do it for free but it is likely to have a cost depending on the time it takes - at the happy end, might only take 10 minutes, and at the bad end it might take days. Given the departed developers comments, I doubt this is at the happy end.

kiwifagan is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Hello Micron & Ajax

Thank you very much for coming back and pretty much confirming what was said; unfortunately client lost faith in the developers comments prior to him vanishing ... Happens

Nope this lil duck would not be attempting the upgrade - why beyond my rank - but tks for the headsup.

I can now go back to the client with suggestions, but no commitment on my part.

Many Thanks
    Terry

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.