Squeezeoj is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Local Client with Remote accdb Server

Hello,

I'm trying to connect a local front-end to a remote back-end. Here's what I did:

1. Split my database into a front-end (test.accdb) and a back-end (test_be.accdb). Worked perfectly.

2. Uploaded the back-end file (test_be.accdb) to a remote server (www.mycrazytestsite.com/mypath/test_be.accdb) with Winhost (who says they support "Microsoft Access Database Hosting").

3. Then I tried to use the Link Table Manager to link my front-end to the remote back-end, but I can't figure out how to do this. It doesn't seem to allow me to point to an internet address.

Can anyone tell me if this is possible? And if so, then how to do it? I've tried creating mapped drives and data sources, but nothing seems to be working.

Thanks! Jason

GinaWhipp is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013 32bit
    Hmm, it's not that simple. Pretty sure your data needs to be in MySQL or SQL Server and you connect to that. However, even that is not a simple relinking. Of course if you upload to SQL Server available by your Hosting Service and you MIGHT be able to use SSMS to connect the instance, Your best bet is to just call your Hosting service.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Agree with Gina.
    Its certainly possible with SQL Server but the only way I'm aware you can do this safely with Access is using Terminal Services or Citrix.
    I don't believe you can use an Internet link in the LTM.
    If your hosting service claims otherwise, they should know how to do it.

If you do find a solution, please post the details for the benefit of others in the future,
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

CJ_London is offline VIP
    who says they support "Microsoft Access Database Hosting"
    there are many ISP's out there who say they do, but when it comes down to it, they don't. Unless your ISP is providing you with a terminal server solution (in which case both FE and BE are on the server) and you connect using remote desktop - which is a perfectly viable solution

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thanks all for your thoughts. I'm trying to figure out what the hosting service (WinHost) means. When I know I'll post-back.

Here's what their website says:
    Microsoft Access Hosting

Access database is part of Microsoft's Office Suite. Even though Access is typically used as a desktop application, the Access database can also be used as a file based database to drive websites. Access is not as robust or scalable as MS SQL but for lighter website activities, Access can be a solution.
    We have heard that some hosts are dropping their support for Access database. That's fine - you can move your site to Winhost since we have no plans to stop supporting Access databases. We'll be offering awesome Access hosting for a long time.

Source: https://www.winhost.com/features/dat...ftOfficeAccess

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Post 5 was moderated, I'm posting to trigger email notifications.

From the sound of it, that description is about using an Access database as the back end of the website itself, not as the back end of an Access application. In other words, it might contain the selections available for drop downs on the website, etc.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

CJ_London is offline VIP
    this explains it

can also be used as a file based database to drive websites
    what they are saying is you can have a website on the same server making use of an access BE (as opposed to sql server or mySQL). It is not saying you can use it as a BE to a client based FE.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Hello All,

Thanks for your interest.

My intention was to use the Access Back-End .accdb as the the data source for a local Access Front-end .accdb - not a website.

So, I spoke with the WinHost hosting people and they said that my desired approach will NOT work. They confirmed that it can be used as the back-end to a website, but not a local Access front-end.

Unfortunate....

However, I think I'm going to try to work-around the situation by writing an FTP script to download the Back-End before using it and then another script to re-upload it after finishing.

Be well, Jason

CJ_London is offline VIP
    if this is a single user system I guess that will work. Just wonder what the benefit is....

if it is intended as a multi user system where users will be adding/changing data then it won't work because userB's copy will overwrite userA's copy if they upload after userA

depends on what you are trying to do - might be worth investigating terminal server, citrix, jump desktop, teamviewer

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.