iaskey is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2016

Forms Get Stuck in Refresh Upon Clicking on Editable Fields (Windows 10 issue but works fine in 7)

Background Info:
    I have a main form with subforms inside. A combo box is in the main form whose control is a query on two tables. The other subforms are based on two text boxes that hold GUIDs that are on the main form and are binded to the main form combo box. It should be noted that the subforms are tabular as well.

Problem:
    Every time I click an editable field (text box) for a record in one of the subforms, the cursor has the blue circle spinning endlessly like Access is refreshing the forms.

What I Have Tried:

- Adjusted various properties on the subforms

Please let me know if you have any ideas. Thank you!

Hi
    Best to upload a zipped copy of the database so we can see what is happening.

iaskey is offline Novice
    Hi,

Thank you for your response! I have attached a zipped copy. There should be a startup form that pops up. Click on 'update agency' and then use the combo box on the top of the main form to select "City of Arcadia-2013". You will see the issue arise when you try to edit any field in the 'Response Tracking' subform. I deleted the other effected subforms for privacy reasons. Let me know your thoughts! Thanks again!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I get an error when investigating the master/child links of either subform control: "Parts of the link with missing pair fields will be ignored". Perhaps you removed too much? See if it happens to your original version. The time that I see the wait cursor isn't too bad but there's a lot of flicker.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

iaskey is offline Novice
    Thanks again for responding! I do not encounter that same error. I did, however, figure out why the cursor keeps refreshing. Upon looking at the TaskManager while the constant cursor "refreshing" happens, a service called ctfmon.exe uses a large amount of CPU along with Access. It appears this service is responsible for the glitch. I confirmed it by disabling it, and the subforms worked just fine! The only issue is that disabling ctfmon.exe causes search bar functionality in Windows 10 to not work... After looking online quite a bit, ctfmon.exe is apparently important to Windows 10 for certain text input functionalities. That being said, I need to somehow figure out a middleman for keeping ctfmon.exe enabled for the majority of Windows 10 but disabled for Access.

Parsonshere is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013

spelling

In addition, the subform has the same name as the form, so the program cannot distinguish between the two. I think you may also have some textboxes with the same name as fields, but I'm not positive about that. It would help to predicate your controls with cmb, cmd, txt, lbl, fld etc. Makes it a lot easier to tell what you are doing, and also allows the program to distinguish between a field and textbox or other control by keeping control names and field names unique.
    Last edited by Parsonshere; 07-25-2019 at 07:21 PM. Reason: spelling

Hi

The Main problem is naming

You had the Primary Key in every table set as GUID

I changed the names of all Primary Keys so that they now match the names of the tables ie AgencyID, ResponseID etc...

You were then trying to link all of these forms incorrectly.

I deleted frmMain so that now when you click on the Command Button "Update Agency" it opens "frmAgency" and NOT "frmMain"

Because you are trying to display more than 1 Subform I added an Unbound Textbox whose Control Source is "=[Forms]![frmAgency]![frmResponse].[Form]![ResponseID]"

I named this Unbound Textbox "txtResponseID" and used it as the Link Master Field for both frmResponseTracking and frmResponseDocuments
    Attached Files Attached Files

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    just to add to Mike's comment, GUID is a reserved work (it is a specific datatype), so using it as a field name can produce misleading error messages or perhaps in your case unwanted side effects

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    More reserved words:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Reserved1.png 
Views:	9 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	39207
    I also a _PK or _FK suffix . Much easier when linking main/sub forms.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.